Get Your Vote In
Today I decided to find out who the NDP candidate in my electoral riding was and I was disappointed to discover that there won't be one. I guess they figure that this riding always votes conservative and they're going to focus their energies elsewhere. I am so frustrated with this philosophy because it leaves me feeling like I have no voice in the democratic process I'm supposed to be able to have a voice in. So the NDP candidate only got 5% of the vote in the last election. That's still close to 4,000 voters who felt that the NDP best represented their civic interests. So now what are we supposed to do? Well, it's time for me to take a closer look at the Green Party of Ontario.
The Green Party is committed to having a candidate in every single one of the 107 electoral ridings/districts for this election. Why is it that they can commit to that, and the NDP, one of the official parties in our provincial Parliament, cannot? As usual, the Green Party will be excluded from the leaders' debate on September 20, 2007. There is an online petition to try and get the networks to allow Frank de Jong in on the debate. I think it would be refreshing to get an alternative vision of how to run the province.
More on Frank de Jong - he was born to Dutch immigrant parents in the mid-fifties and grew up on a dairy farm north of Guelph. As you all know, this resonates pretty strongly with me, being the daughter of a man born to Dutch immigrant parents in the mid-fifties who grew up on a dairy farm north of Guelph. Phew. Sorry, long sentence, but I'm trying to make a point. Even if I didn't have 'Green' values, which I do, it's always important to feel a personal connection to a political party that you're considering voting for. I also like the bio of the candidate running in my riding. I will be trying to catch one of the local debates for sure.
I hope that everyone also takes the time to carefully consider the referendum question. I know which way I am going to vote but I don't know the best way to put it into words yet. I'll let you know when I do. In the meantime, make sure to read up on it and make an informed decision! I can't stand when people make thoughtless votes just for the sake of voting.
The Green Party is committed to having a candidate in every single one of the 107 electoral ridings/districts for this election. Why is it that they can commit to that, and the NDP, one of the official parties in our provincial Parliament, cannot? As usual, the Green Party will be excluded from the leaders' debate on September 20, 2007. There is an online petition to try and get the networks to allow Frank de Jong in on the debate. I think it would be refreshing to get an alternative vision of how to run the province.
More on Frank de Jong - he was born to Dutch immigrant parents in the mid-fifties and grew up on a dairy farm north of Guelph. As you all know, this resonates pretty strongly with me, being the daughter of a man born to Dutch immigrant parents in the mid-fifties who grew up on a dairy farm north of Guelph. Phew. Sorry, long sentence, but I'm trying to make a point. Even if I didn't have 'Green' values, which I do, it's always important to feel a personal connection to a political party that you're considering voting for. I also like the bio of the candidate running in my riding. I will be trying to catch one of the local debates for sure.
I hope that everyone also takes the time to carefully consider the referendum question. I know which way I am going to vote but I don't know the best way to put it into words yet. I'll let you know when I do. In the meantime, make sure to read up on it and make an informed decision! I can't stand when people make thoughtless votes just for the sake of voting.


4 Comments:
At 8:17 AM,
Dread Pirate Jessica said…
This is the provincial election, right?
God, the NDP can be pathetic sometimes.
At 10:06 AM,
Sugarplum said…
They're doing a good job letting the public know there will be a referendum but they don't make it clear what the referendum will be about. I'm afraid the general public will not be making an informed decision.
At 11:46 AM,
Melbine said…
Yes, the provincial election set for Oct. 10th. The official campaigning starts on Monday. Should be interesting!
I'm also nervous that many people aren't going to be making an informed decision about the referendum. Plus, people generally don't like change so even if they think the new way of electing parties and people to office makes more sense, they're going to stick with the status quo.
At 8:17 AM,
Sugarplum said…
Unless they're so pissed off with the stupidity of it all that they say anything is better than the crap we deal with now. I hope that's the driving emotion - as it should be!
Post a Comment
<< Home