A Patch of Blue

But if we share our sadness, And hopes and feelings too; Amid the frequent rain of tears, We'll find our patch of blue. - Eleisha John

Monday, August 27, 2007

What's Your Protocol?

Sounding like a broken record these days, but life continues to be busy with summer visits from friends and family. One of my aunts was in town with her husband last week and they let us know this by calling the night before at 10:10 p.m. We were already in bed and since we don't have the ringer on in our bedroom, we didn't get the call. I don't feel bad at all for missing this call, but some people might have found it rude that the phone didn't get answered. What's your protocol? How late is it before you'll not answer the phone or call someone? I grew up in a household where I wasn't allowed to take calls after 9:30 p.m. I remember being upstairs and hearing my father tell one of my friends that I was already in bed, which I wasn't. I was a little put out at that point, but fast-forward ten years later and I appear to have adopted the same philosophy. I expect I'll be doing the exact same thing to my children.

Anyway, yes, lots of visits. My parents just left this morning after a quick visit since they were on this side of the province anyway. Mama Bear spoiled me, as usual, with another pot of soup for me to freeze and take out for lunches, and Tink, with clothes. Oh, and Minchky (codeword for baby number 2, though Krazy thinks that's a bizarre name) got spoiled too with some cutesie sleepers and onesies in anticipation of his or her arrival.

Last night I had a psycho, pregnancy hormone-induced dream that left me quaking with fear for about 10 minutes after I woke up in the middle of the night. It was either my hormones or the Peter Sellers biopic that we watched last night. He was a mad dog. Sorry, I keep digressing today! The dream was about one of my distant ancestors (like, great-great-great-great grandparent) creating this bizarre curse that was supposed to take effect in 2008 and one of my brothers would enact his revenge on the world. Then my dream morphed into this post-apocalyptic world where everyone on the planet had been captured in order to have their brain energy used since all of the fossil fuel was gone or something. There were 2 or 3 adults who had eluded capture and they were running around trying to avoid all of the brain agents. At the same time, they were trying to capture children from the nurseries and show them how to utilize their brain psychic energy for themselves. I was a bystander watching everything unfold and I have to say, their capture seemed inevitable as there was nowhere for them to hide. Weird weird weird.

I have not had one baby-related dream yet which makes me think that this is a girl. Last time I had a number of dreams where I would pull out the baby to check the gender and there was a penis each time. Following this theory, lack of penis dreams must surely mean there's a female baby inside?

3 Comments:

  • At 1:04 PM, Blogger Sugarplum said…

    Oh, I hope it's a girl! There aren't enough baby girls around.

    Wow. What a terrifying dream. Ancestors cursing and all that - so pregnancy-related. I wonder what Mistress will have to say about it.

    As for protocol, I don't usually call people after 9. Actually, usually by 8 p.m. I've figured my evening out and have got myself into some kind of lazy rut either a bottle of wine or a movie or we're out doing something so chances are I won't make any phone calls after that! Plus, people tend to have their tv shows they like to watch after 8 so I feel like I'm disturbing them if I call during a good show like Desperate Housewives or anything else people might watch from 8 p.m. on. All of these silly considerations leave a pretty slim timeline which is why I find it hard to keep in touch.

    Speaking of which, if you're around this afternoon expect to hear your phone ringing.

     
  • At 1:43 AM, Blogger Dread Pirate Jessica said…

    I don't call after or before ten. I answer, though, as when people call outside of those times I worry it's an emergency or that that someone forgot timezones.

    You're probably better at dream interpreting than I am, but if I'd had that dream, I'd assume I was worrying about the legacy of my family's behaviour on the next generation of it, and the effect of the world's consumerist and mediated environment on my kids, especially the unborn blank slate you've got inside you.

    Parents must worry about that so much - kids hearing all these voices about what to buy, wear, do, think to be happy which the parents can see are wrong - even while parents themselves are getting bombarded with similar messages, if less agressively than children get bombarded.

    But don't worry, honey. You're the mum. Your voice is the first and most important, and as you're educated and thoughtful you have the tools to make your kids educated and thoughtful too - so that they really have thier own minds.

    Like everybody, they'll go through their time when the struggle to fit themselves in to a silly, artificial identity, but you're a good enough mum that I know you can give them the tools to eventually find themselves, so they can use their brain energy for themselves!

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Blogger Melbine said…

    I like your interpretation Mistress..I haven't put too much thought into it but it makes sense what you say. I do worry, as a parent, about what sort of world my children are going to grow up in. But hopefully I can keep their minds on track with what's important.

    I'm so lazy about the phone too. I need to work on my telepathic skills so that when I'm thinking about my friends they would just automatically know..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home