Small Differences
Okay, so this is officially the longest I have ever gone without writing, but the last 16 days have been really busy! I think because the last two weeks previous to this one, I worked Tuesday to Thursday. I found that tied up my time a lot more than if I could get two days off in a row during the week. 'Tis true!
Anyway, so what has been occupying my time? Well, mostly the nicer weather and spending lots of time outside with Tink. He already cries like you've taken away a piece of heaven from him when it's time to go back in the house. I'm very pleased that he loves it so much - but I don't want to have a battle on my hands every time I need to go in the house to take a piss or have some lunch!
Nelbine has been staying with us since Sunday while she wraps up her last week of teacher's college. It's so nice to have her back in town again! Tonight we are going to a movie while Krazy and his boys take over the rec room for some playoff hockey action. We're happy to leave them to their game - we just need help deciding on a film. Comedy or drama? Right now it's between Hot Fuzz, Blades of Glory, or Fracture. Hmm...I want to see all three!
You would think I'd have more to say since it's been so long...but I don't! Here's one small thing - when Nelbine and I were out grocery shopping a few nights ago, I was talking with the cashier about the new cloth bags that Loblaws has put out for sale. They're really small, but at least it's an effort. She said that besides myself and maybe a couple of other people who have been bringing cloth bags for years, it's only recently that other people have. I felt very proud of myself! And I realized, wow, it's been a very long time that I have gone for my weekly groceries and taken along bags. It started back in my student days and has continued on..It doesn't seem like much, but that's probably added up to thousands of bags not used by me if you consider that it's been almost 10 years...just one thing you can do to leave a smaller footprint on the planet. :)
Anyway, so what has been occupying my time? Well, mostly the nicer weather and spending lots of time outside with Tink. He already cries like you've taken away a piece of heaven from him when it's time to go back in the house. I'm very pleased that he loves it so much - but I don't want to have a battle on my hands every time I need to go in the house to take a piss or have some lunch!
Nelbine has been staying with us since Sunday while she wraps up her last week of teacher's college. It's so nice to have her back in town again! Tonight we are going to a movie while Krazy and his boys take over the rec room for some playoff hockey action. We're happy to leave them to their game - we just need help deciding on a film. Comedy or drama? Right now it's between Hot Fuzz, Blades of Glory, or Fracture. Hmm...I want to see all three!
You would think I'd have more to say since it's been so long...but I don't! Here's one small thing - when Nelbine and I were out grocery shopping a few nights ago, I was talking with the cashier about the new cloth bags that Loblaws has put out for sale. They're really small, but at least it's an effort. She said that besides myself and maybe a couple of other people who have been bringing cloth bags for years, it's only recently that other people have. I felt very proud of myself! And I realized, wow, it's been a very long time that I have gone for my weekly groceries and taken along bags. It started back in my student days and has continued on..It doesn't seem like much, but that's probably added up to thousands of bags not used by me if you consider that it's been almost 10 years...just one thing you can do to leave a smaller footprint on the planet. :)


3 Comments:
At 9:30 AM,
Sugarplum said…
Congratulations. That's great. It's looking like people are starting to catch on. I was at the checkout at Loeb and there were three of us who had our own bags in a row. I was very proud.
When I worked in that kitchen store on Bank street I used to "ask" people if they needed bags by saying, "You can just tuck this into your purse" or "this will fit nicely in your other bag" to try and discourage shoppers from taking bags. But there were a lot of people who had backpacks or bags for that purpose anyways. So, you are not alone.
At 7:00 PM,
Melbine said…
Yeah, I almost always end up with lots of other purchases in one bag if I'm at the mall or something. I bet that stores are noticing a reduction in their plastic bags.
At 7:28 AM,
Sugarplum said…
I hope so. You still get strange looks from some people when you refuse a pretty plastic bag though.
Post a Comment
<< Home