Am I Being Too Critical? Or Is This More Disillusionment?
I have been trying to get through the last half of Timothy Findley's Spadework for the last week or so and it's just not holding me. I have skimmed through most of it as if I had read it, so I know what happens at the end. Has anyone else read Findley's final novel before his death in 2002? What did you think? I'm honestly looking for another opinion, because I'm a little bit shocked at my blasé, critical attitude towards it. Findley is a literary giant for me and frankly, it's rare for me to get so much enjoyment out of a male author.
I don't like the characters in this book and to me, Findley seems to be living out some kind of end-of-life fantasy with one of the main storylines. I haven't read any of his novels before in a modern setting. It takes place in Stratford, Ontario (a town way too close to where I grew up for me to get comfortable and invest in the story's world..what does that mean about myself?!) over the course of summer 1998. I'm not going to get into too much of a plot synopsis because I'd rather you just tried to read it for yourself...but I will say that it seemed totally unbelievable to me what one of the characters decided to pursue in his life.
I've been thinking about it over the past few days, and I think I'm starting to learn even more what sort of literary worlds I'm drawn to. It would seem that I am most absorbed by a story set in the past. This is so much more interesting to me than a novel set in present-time. Or, if a novel is set in present-time, time has to be a vague, secondary point of interest in the story.
Oh well. A novel that I will recommend to you is The Trespass by Barbara Ewing, published shortly after Spadework, but taking place in 1849 and infinitely more interesting. See for yourself..
I don't like the characters in this book and to me, Findley seems to be living out some kind of end-of-life fantasy with one of the main storylines. I haven't read any of his novels before in a modern setting. It takes place in Stratford, Ontario (a town way too close to where I grew up for me to get comfortable and invest in the story's world..what does that mean about myself?!) over the course of summer 1998. I'm not going to get into too much of a plot synopsis because I'd rather you just tried to read it for yourself...but I will say that it seemed totally unbelievable to me what one of the characters decided to pursue in his life.
I've been thinking about it over the past few days, and I think I'm starting to learn even more what sort of literary worlds I'm drawn to. It would seem that I am most absorbed by a story set in the past. This is so much more interesting to me than a novel set in present-time. Or, if a novel is set in present-time, time has to be a vague, secondary point of interest in the story.
Oh well. A novel that I will recommend to you is The Trespass by Barbara Ewing, published shortly after Spadework, but taking place in 1849 and infinitely more interesting. See for yourself..


5 Comments:
At 12:46 PM,
Sugarplum said…
I haven't read that one. I've had mixed feelings about Timothy Findley's work. I loved Pilgrim but I didn't really like the butterfly one - the name is escaping me. I enjoyed The Pianoman's Daughter too. Maybe you're not ready to go home quite yet. Maybe you enjoy novels that take you away from reality into some place that you cannot go.
At 7:18 PM,
Melbine said…
I loved the same ones as you and to be honest, they're the only ones I've read. Haven't you read the one about the animals on Noah's Ark?
I don't think my lack of interest in locally-placed novels is because I'm trying to avoid it. I think it's more that when I decide to spend my time reading something, I want to be transported to a foreign place. Does that make sense?
At 1:19 AM,
Dread Pirate Jessica said…
I liked Not Wanted on Voyage, and was probably the only person who liked The Wars in my highschool. So I'd like to read his last book. But lots of last books are quite crap.
At 12:54 PM,
Melbine said…
Yeah, just try not to be too disappointed, Mistress. Let me know what you think if you ever get the chance to read it. Maybe I'm being unreasonable..
At 2:10 PM,
Sugarplum said…
You're right. I read and enjoyed Not Wanted on the Voyage (the Noah's ark one). But not nearly as much as I enjoyed Thomas King's Green Grass Running Water which also had Noah references in it. Ha! That was a funny book.
Post a Comment
<< Home