Awkwardness and Jealousy
Now that there is about a week between my posts these days, I find it hard to think of things to write about sometimes. Ideas continually pop into my head, "That's a great subject for a post!", but I seem to forget what seemed so clear and eloquent in my head a few days earlier.
One thing that has remained on my mind over the last week has been the awkwardness and jealousy that Facebook is making me feel! Facebook is THE hot topic these days, it's even encroached its way into conversations at work. Even my father-in-law has found his way on there (can you say AWKWAARRD?!). Initially, I felt no awkwardness about getting in touch with people, or, having them get in touch with me. But worlds are starting to collide and I'm expecting any day to have to start rejecting people.
And the jealousy! I have always known that I have a jealous streak - I blame it on all the water in my astrological chart. I can't help but read people's walls and find out that my mutual friends are interacting and then I start to wonder why they're not interacting with me! Who would have thought that Facebook would be the thing to point out glaringly some of my psychological issues...does anyone else have this problem? And, ew, I feel like a Peeping Tom reading other people's messages, but it's kind of hard to avoid!
So why am I still even bothering with the stupid thing? Well, I really like finding out how people are doing. I'm a social, friendly person at heart and I like knowing people's stories. Some people's life paths have not surprised me at all, but others I am very pleasantly surprised to see where they've ended up. I do think I'm going to slow things down a little though (I've been putting out way too much, if you get what I'm saying). Less than half of my 'friends' are in my address book or have been to my house. However, it's worth it to find yet another way to stay close to these friends that truly are in my life.
One thing that has remained on my mind over the last week has been the awkwardness and jealousy that Facebook is making me feel! Facebook is THE hot topic these days, it's even encroached its way into conversations at work. Even my father-in-law has found his way on there (can you say AWKWAARRD?!). Initially, I felt no awkwardness about getting in touch with people, or, having them get in touch with me. But worlds are starting to collide and I'm expecting any day to have to start rejecting people.
And the jealousy! I have always known that I have a jealous streak - I blame it on all the water in my astrological chart. I can't help but read people's walls and find out that my mutual friends are interacting and then I start to wonder why they're not interacting with me! Who would have thought that Facebook would be the thing to point out glaringly some of my psychological issues...does anyone else have this problem? And, ew, I feel like a Peeping Tom reading other people's messages, but it's kind of hard to avoid!
So why am I still even bothering with the stupid thing? Well, I really like finding out how people are doing. I'm a social, friendly person at heart and I like knowing people's stories. Some people's life paths have not surprised me at all, but others I am very pleasantly surprised to see where they've ended up. I do think I'm going to slow things down a little though (I've been putting out way too much, if you get what I'm saying). Less than half of my 'friends' are in my address book or have been to my house. However, it's worth it to find yet another way to stay close to these friends that truly are in my life.


3 Comments:
At 12:52 PM,
Sugarplum said…
Well, I'm a watery mess astrologically speaking and I was jealous at first that you have so many damn friends! But I have been much more conservative in my friendship-making on facebook and I think the more you spend on it the more it makes you self-concious.
People have made me a friend who I don't even remember - like a cousin of a cousin who I have maybe met twice and a girl who I don't remember at all but I read on her page that her first best friend was a girl I was friends with in high school (someone my parents thought was a bad influence and introduced me to booze and promiscuous sex - she was having it not me!). So maybe I knew her in high school but she is friends with all my cousins so I don't know how I know her. She does look familiar...
Then you post something and everyone who is remotely friends with you knows what you said - without even going to your page. So everything you say you have think - do I want my professor to read this? My little cousins who look up to me? That person I knew in elementary school? And it's a sound bite-type thing so they don't even get the context.
Yes, Facebook is bad news. I think I'd rather blog.
At 10:17 AM,
Dread Pirate Jessica said…
I consider Facebook an exercise in self-censorship.
At 2:04 PM,
Melbine said…
Yes, I'm learning all of this about Facebook. At least I had the good sense to not let my father-in-law or anyone not born in the last half of the 20th century see my wall. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home