A Patch of Blue

But if we share our sadness, And hopes and feelings too; Amid the frequent rain of tears, We'll find our patch of blue. - Eleisha John

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Texas Doesn't Really Mean It, Do They?

I was driving into work a few mornings ago when I heard a news piece on the radio about a proposed Texas law that would offer $500 to women to not have an abortion. I almost caused an accident because I was just turning the curve to head onto the parkway and I think I braked a little too hard. My brain was bubbling over with all kinds of objections but I've finally settled on the comforting thought that it will never fly. Right?

Here is a really good blog post about it and sums up my feelings quite nicely. Let's say that someone actually thought this was a decent option for them - they don't see one penny until they've carried the baby to term and proven that it was given up for adoption. What?? Something seems really suspicious and corrupt about this whole idea. It's absurd. I'm not going to waste any more time on it.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger Sugarplum said…

    I don't know why you never want to fully explore these infuriating topics. I guess that's the difference between nice people like you and firecrackers like me (to put it nicely). Anyways, the Athiest circle did a good job of explaining why paying $500/head for babies is wrong but there's so much more to it. It breaks so many ethical rules that I can sit and chew on that one for days. But I think I'll follow your lead and not waste anymore of my time on it - since I am in short supply right now.

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Yeah, something always stops me from really ripping into something. I guess the worry that I might be upsetting/offending someone? Hard to take the Catholic guilt out of the girl a lot of the time. :) But especially with this, it's just a waste of time because so many people shot this down..it'll never come into being.

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Blogger Sugarplum said…

    But are those people in Texas? It is only the people in Texas' opinion that matters on this.

     
  • At 5:46 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    When I googled this topic, most of the comments were out of Texas. The blog I linked, for example, is based in Austin. I guess we'll see what happens, but I'd honestly be shocked if this passed!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home