A Patch of Blue

But if we share our sadness, And hopes and feelings too; Amid the frequent rain of tears, We'll find our patch of blue. - Eleisha John

Thursday, January 25, 2007

How Oprah Redeemed Herself

A few months ago I watched a really nasty Oprah episode, where she had a doctor on who was explaining all the intricacies of gas and diarrhea to her. Okay, it made me giggle and it was kind of interesting, but really. Oprah has really degraded the quality of her show I sadly thought. It was like watching a world-class journalist like Barbara Walters degrade herself by associating with the gossip show that The View has become. So I turned it off and figured that I was done with Oprah. This worked out better for my schedule anyway since when her show comes on is when I start getting supper prepared.

Anyway, I randomly checked to see what Oprah's show was going to be about a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised to see that she was having one of her discussion group-like shows about mothers and whether they decide to stay at home or go back to work. It doesn't really get anymore relevant for me than that! Minus the one stay-at-home Mom who blubbered on about the sacrifices she's made, "Like, I don't have a cell phone!", the women involved were well-spoken and successful. Everyone made really valid points and I especially connected with the one woman who had decided to stay at home and invest in her children. She said that she likes to approach motherhood as a profession and has goals and new ideas. She has been made to feel like she's somehow failed 'feminism' for making this decision, but she (who considers herself a feminist) thinks that being a feminist is about having the choice. She feels more empowered than ever, which is exactly how I feel.

The main trajectory of all the women was that they felt judged, no matter what decision they made. It's true - our society has a big fat opinion about parenthood and raising children. This is not a bad thing, but when we're all in this together, I would suggest that everyone be more understanding of other people's decisions! I have never thought for a second that I am being a better mother than a woman who goes back to work. It is just the right decision for me and I couldn't be happier.

Here's an interesting statistic if you didn't already know: the United States is only one of FOUR countries in the WORLD that doesn't have a national child leave program. Also, a woman that hires for a company blatantly admitted that they won't hire women that they suspect will plan to have children. She is a disgrace to the sisterhood. Hello people??! If you undervalue women procreating so much, who do you expect will carry on the business of populating the world??

Work together people. Work together.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Sugarplum said…

    I saw part of that show and then tuned in for 10 minutes or so yesterday to see what was up. I thought the expert really made a lot of great points. The thing is that you have to do what makes you happy because a miserable mom is a bad mom. And if leaving your career will put a hole in your life then you have to figure out how to juggle it. If you are able to take a bit of time off your career and you can stay sane at home (like you do, Melbine) then more power to you. That is great for your child or children. But a child who has a happy mom is a lucky child no matter what it takes to make a mom happy. Some moms would feel trapped in their home and some moms would feel trapped by their jobs. It's an individual decision. What bothers me is when one tries to accuse the other of being selfish or out of touch. There was one woman on the panel who was very judgemental and you just have to let it go! When you're that angry then maybe you have issues with your decision.

    We need to shift the argument away from individual decisions towards solutions and options that will make working easier for moms. Things like job sharing and part-time hours. You're lucky that when you go back you know that you'll be at a place where people will let you handle your schedule the way you need to - and there's not pressure to hurry up and go back.

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Do you mean that one working mom? I thought there was one that was highly argumentative and confrontational. She seemed very defensive, maybe someone in her life has made her feel this way?

    The main gist of the show was that it's about how 'engaged' you are with your children. There could be a mother who is away from her kids all day but still be more engaged and interactive with her children when she DOES spend time with them, then some mothers who are at home but don't engage at all.

    Also, no one should feel trapped in their decision. If you're not happy, change something and see how that goes!

     
  • At 1:58 PM, Blogger Sugarplum said…

    Spoken like a true mother. I was thinking of one stay at home mom who I thought was being quite nasty and defensive. She was saying that everyone thinks that stay-at-home moms just sit around and watch tv all day. But it is such a loaded argument that it would be difficult to come off as anything but defensive. I'm sure I sound defensive when I talk about my veganism.

    Yes, as a childless person, I would think that it is all about the quality of the time you spend with your children. And that is where being happy and well adjusted fits into the picture. How can you be a good mother when you're bored or overworked?

     
  • At 2:41 PM, Blogger Dread Pirate Jessica said…

    I can't believe people are so bad at accepting a decision so subjective and so different from woman to woman.

    You know, these issues are treated differently in northern European countries, that make it easier for mums to leave work and then come back.

    So frustrating.

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    It's true Sugarplum, people are always defensive about decisions they make that people might judge.

    Northern Europe is so damn smart! However, I do feel pretty lucky to live in Canada compared to the support they get in the States. That EI for a year was great!

     
  • At 2:00 AM, Blogger katrina said…

    I didn't really study it, and I didn't see the show, but isn't feminism all about the right to make choices that are right for you and take advantage of a full range of opportunities?

    I admire the decision that you've made - and I appreciate that my mom was able to make a similar decision when I was young. But you're right, it's about the engagement - my dad may have worked all week long, but they were both totally engaged in the rearing of the kids...

    wish I'd seen the show, sounds interesting!

     
  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger Melbine said…

    To me, feminism is definitely about the right to make choices, and live your life the way you want to live it. Actually, that should be any person's right, not just women! Anyway, it was an interesting show - do they have Oprah in South Korea??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home