"It will be a nuisance, unfortunately"
Yes, I imagine that 4 to 6 weeks of intensive blasting 50 metres away from my house is going to be a fucking (excuse the French) nuisance. It's not the guy's fault at Explotech Engineering Ltd. that his company has been hired to blow up the land behind my house, but it took great restraint not to whine and get pissy with him.
I had the pleasure of finding a letter on my porch yesterday concerning the impending explosives blasting to create a new road - would we like a pre-construction inspection of our house done? You know, just in case the blasting does some damage? It's free! Well, woo-hoo, it's not going to cost us anything. Why the hell would it? Sigh. I am certainly going to arrange an inspection, both inside and outside the house. Krazy is leery of allowing these people in our home, but if anything gets damaged from the blasting, I want proof that the picture on our wall wasn't always lying smashed on the floor.
Let's hope that Tink isn't bothered too much by all of this as well. It's not going to be a nice way to spend February if he's not able to nap properly, or gets bent out of shape every time the house vibrates. I, at least, understand what will be causing the upheaval, whereas he will not. The boy gets upset when our one toilet releases some pressure and semi-flushes occasionally (I really think we need to get that checked). On the other hand, he did just fine when they were re-doing my parents' road and their house is less than 50 metres away from the road. Sigh again. Time will tell I suppose!
Something that did make me giggle was the name of the signatory. This guy is a P.Eng and in brackets he adds his nickname (Moose) after his first name. Okay, this is especially funny if you're from where I'm from because that's the name of the village drunk/idiot. Strangely enough, if he was signing a letter, he would have to insert Moose in brackets too because no one would know who it was otherwise. Poor Moose. Er, both of them.
I had the pleasure of finding a letter on my porch yesterday concerning the impending explosives blasting to create a new road - would we like a pre-construction inspection of our house done? You know, just in case the blasting does some damage? It's free! Well, woo-hoo, it's not going to cost us anything. Why the hell would it? Sigh. I am certainly going to arrange an inspection, both inside and outside the house. Krazy is leery of allowing these people in our home, but if anything gets damaged from the blasting, I want proof that the picture on our wall wasn't always lying smashed on the floor.
Let's hope that Tink isn't bothered too much by all of this as well. It's not going to be a nice way to spend February if he's not able to nap properly, or gets bent out of shape every time the house vibrates. I, at least, understand what will be causing the upheaval, whereas he will not. The boy gets upset when our one toilet releases some pressure and semi-flushes occasionally (I really think we need to get that checked). On the other hand, he did just fine when they were re-doing my parents' road and their house is less than 50 metres away from the road. Sigh again. Time will tell I suppose!
Something that did make me giggle was the name of the signatory. This guy is a P.Eng and in brackets he adds his nickname (Moose) after his first name. Okay, this is especially funny if you're from where I'm from because that's the name of the village drunk/idiot. Strangely enough, if he was signing a letter, he would have to insert Moose in brackets too because no one would know who it was otherwise. Poor Moose. Er, both of them.


4 Comments:
At 9:39 PM,
Anonymous said…
They were developing across from the school and building onto the school when I was teaching and every once in a while there would be a big blast and the classroom would shake. Try keeping twenty-eight 15/16 year olds on task once that happens! Although I was also quick to look out the window! I think Tink will be fine.. he'll get used to it :)
JS
At 8:41 AM,
Melbine said…
Yeah, but no one was trying to sleep while that was going on - that's my biggest concern right now! The only thing we can do is see what happens the first couple of days...argh.
At 9:47 AM,
Dread Pirate Jessica said…
What you can do is chain yourself to the blast sites. I don't know what you'd do about childcare then, though . . .
At 12:14 PM,
Melbine said…
Hmm, I wonder what Moose would do?? Maybe Tink could go to visit with Grandma and Grandpa. :) Seriously though, I don't understand why they can't wait another six weeks until it's a little warmer outside. I can't believe how greedy developers are. I really can't.
Post a Comment
<< Home