A Patch of Blue

But if we share our sadness, And hopes and feelings too; Amid the frequent rain of tears, We'll find our patch of blue. - Eleisha John

Friday, January 26, 2007

Dear People With Too Much Time On Your Hands,

I recently read of your huge complaints regarding the saying of the Lord's prayer before Ontario municipal council meetings. I can't really say that I agree with your exhaustive efforts to try and make these councils stop doing this. To Ms. Ayala, who said this: "I think what they're saying at council meetings when they say the Lord's Prayer is that this council is only for Christians — it's not for anyone else. And that's wrong.", I say "I think what they're saying at council meetings is that they like to recite a prayer before beginning their meeting. The 18 councils that are still doing this, irregardless of a ruling stating this violates the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, do so probably because the 7 - 10 people in the room are Christian. And they represent the dominant religion in their municipality. I can guarantee you that one of the councils is probably the municipality where my parents live. I don't think even 5% of the population there is non-Christian. So what's your problem? What do you care that a group of old, white men (predominantly), stand and say a prayer to their God before they get down to the business of running the municipality? Maybe the real issue is that these councils are still good old boys clubs and show no diversity. There are so many, many more important things to be fighting the good fight for in this world than this."

Sincerely,
Not enough time on my hands to really care

3 Comments:

  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger Dread Pirate Jessica said…

    It might be a better idea for people to use their energy running for the councils themselves, of course.

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger Sugarplum said…

    Yes, and then they can complain about how the meetings are run.

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Yeah, really! I just found it very silly..like the courts don't have more important things to do.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home