When in Doubt - Eat it!
I have a mobile garbage can on my hands these days. Tink is intensely exploring this big, new world he's a part of. The problem is that every single thing that he picks up, he puts in his mouth. Well, the real problem is that I'm probably only catching 1 out of 3 bits of dust, lint, fuzz, food etc. that goes in his mouth. It doesn't do him any real damage, unless he starts choking, in which case I am certified in infant/child CPR. He also likes to try and eat furniture, stuffed animals, and socks. I hate to say it, but it's kind of like he's a goat right now or something. Earlier today I noticed him really chomping, and I pulled out two sticks of wood from his mouth! Where on earth did those come from I thought to myself. Ah yes, there's the corner of my tape cassette holder chewed off. Really, when does he find the time to do this? I don't sit and observe his every move but maybe I do need to be more diligent.
The thing is that he is such a good little self-amuser! Ms. D was over on Saturday afternoon for a Christmas baking session, and Tink spent lots of time on his own. He roamed all over the first floor with occasional intervention from us to prevent him from grabbing at end table breakables. Now I'm wondering just what he ingested over in the corner of the dining room while we weren't looking!
Maybe it's just a teething thing? He now has all four of his one year molars as of this morning, so hopefully things will calm down on the chewing front.
The thing is that he is such a good little self-amuser! Ms. D was over on Saturday afternoon for a Christmas baking session, and Tink spent lots of time on his own. He roamed all over the first floor with occasional intervention from us to prevent him from grabbing at end table breakables. Now I'm wondering just what he ingested over in the corner of the dining room while we weren't looking!
Maybe it's just a teething thing? He now has all four of his one year molars as of this morning, so hopefully things will calm down on the chewing front.


7 Comments:
At 3:48 PM,
Mistress La Spliffe said…
He's just exploring - clever boy! But I hope he doesn't hurt himself doing it.
At 9:54 PM,
Melbine said…
Me either - I need to watch him like a hawk these days!
At 10:02 AM,
Anonymous said…
My eldest nephew went through a long stage where he liked to eat lint. He had these really soft crocheted blankets and he would just swallow long lines of lint and string from these blankets. He would pull them apart and swallow the yarn like spaghetti. Well, it got to the point where my sister and his nanny would have to have a pair of scissors nearby when changing his diaper to cut the string. No kidding - true story. Of course my sister took him to the doctor and the doctor said no more lint because it could really do some damage to have such long strings going through the body. My sister did everything in her power to stop this from happening but it was an addiction for him. He would collect the lint on anything from blankets to bedspreads and find lint everywhere and bring it to you. You'd be like, what is this about? And you'd have to throw it out but every so often when no one was looking he would put them in his mouth and eat them.
Now you'll be happy to know that this boy is a very intelligent and well-adjusted boy now that he is in Senior Kindergarten. There is no more eating lint or anything out of the ordinary. It was just a stage.
At 12:38 PM,
Melbine said…
Oh yeah, I remember you telling me about that Sugarplum! Tink is not so selective - anything of bite size goes into his mouth so he can check it out. He doesn't like to swallow it, he just chews and chews until we can fish it out of there. I'm sure we all did the same!
At 1:13 PM,
Anonymous said…
Let's hope he grows out of it and doesn't end up like those people who chew the shit out of everything from toothbrushes to pens and like to have a straw hanging out of their mouths when they're in restaurants and they pull it out and it's all chewed and gross. It makes me want to puke when I see that. I just want them to choke on it so they stop it. Ahhh!
I'm sure Tink is smarter than that.
At 8:32 AM,
Melbine said…
I'm pretty sure he's going to grow out of it - those molars coming through makes him want to chew things to relieve the pressure I'm sure.
I used to hate when I'd clean up a table at the diner and people would leave their chewed through straws. Ewwwww!!
At 10:04 AM,
Anonymous said…
As my big sister used to say in the 80s, "Gag me with a spoon!"
Post a Comment
<< Home