A Patch of Blue

But if we share our sadness, And hopes and feelings too; Amid the frequent rain of tears, We'll find our patch of blue. - Eleisha John

Friday, December 08, 2006

The Disappointment is Killing Me

I'm now going to admit to doing something that I know you have all done at least once in your lives! A few days ago I was googling people from high school to see if I could find out what they were up to. Okay, I was googling past crushes and cuties, I admit it! Anyway, I actually found the boy that I was in love with for grade 7 & 8, followed by a repeat crush from grade 11 through to heading off to university. You know how they say, 'Be careful what you wish for'? Well, I kinda wished that I hadn't let my curiosity lead me down this path. Mr. Crush is, I kid you not, a used car salesman. He has a shaved head (due to his severe balding), glasses, and a goatee which does not do him any favours. It's not that I think about him anymore, I can't even remember the last time that I had. But every so often something would remind me of him and I would wonder what his life was like now. I thought surely he is still on top of the world, the way he was in high school. And who knows, he's likely very happy with his life, but I can't help but think he's disappointed (at the very least about the balding). Now that I have seen the harsh reality, I keep going back to his picture - repulsed, yet fascinated.

Even though I am hugely disappointed that Mr. Crush has been deflated in my eyes, I can't help but feel triumphant too. It's such a puerile thing, but I take comfort in the fact that I still look the same as in high school (better probably, so modest..) and that my resumé is, most assuredly, better than his. You see, Mr. Crush always had lots of time for me away from the public eye of the snotty high school clique he was part of, but not if they were around. We worked together at the same restaurant/gas bar and had lots of fun (innocent I tell you!) moments but I was barely acknowleged at school. And that hurt! So disappointment yes, but I also think some karma has come back to bite Mr. Crush in the butt! Ha!

It's like going back to your high school reunion purely to gloat at all the cool kids who have turned into pathetic slobs that no one wants to talk to. Wow, who would have thought I cared so much? It makes me think, once again, that 'adult' life is really just a glorified school yard with better fashion sense.

7 Comments:

  • At 12:39 AM, Blogger Mistress La Spliffe said…

    You inspired me to google my own high school crush, who is either now an environmentally-minded scientist or a tattoo artist - neither would surprise me and I didn't Google Image, so I guess I'll never know.

    Just as well . . . sometimes it's best to let fantasy play.

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger Melbine said…

    I didn't Google Image either, the guy just actually has his picture up - his place of employment has a picture for all of the employees! I wish they hadn't..you're right, better to let fantasy play. :(

    Wow, got a priceless word verification - dumfawq. Apparently blogger also thinks I was dumb to have googled my crush!

     
  • At 4:32 AM, Blogger katrina said…

    You inspired me to google my own high school crush as well. Although nothing came up about where he is or what he's up to, there was a photo or two that was around to check out. I had good taste, and he has aged _quite_ well... hrm.

    One point last year, I googled the girl that stayed with me on exchange in high school - she was a bit nutty (you may recall...) but went on to be a rhodes scholar... her brothers are a national judo champion and an academic who's pursuing the fascinating world of mathematics. Talk about giving me a bit of an inferiority complex!

    I wonder if people ever randomly google me, and what they think when they find me...

     
  • At 8:26 AM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Hmm, I have an idea or two of who you might mean Kat but you'll have to email me with some clarification (as well as your mailing address!) so I can see for myself. :)

    Yes, I remember that redhead! Wow, looks like she seemingly did well for herself. I've googled myself both maiden and married last name and nothing comes up. I have remained google-resistant!

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Strange. Things have changed so much.

    I google myself and it's all kinds of articles I wrote for the Commuter Challenge and petitions signed. Then stuff about other people with my name. I wonder if googlers are confused by the mass of stuff there - it's easy to know which ones are about me but that's because I wrote them...

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Haha you make me laugh. I love to google people I know and see what they are up to.

    I googled my first high school crush - I was in grade 9 and he was in 12 - and he lives in the same part of Toronto I do! Ack! I hope I never see him on the street or he might remember how I followed him in the hallways swooning and run screaming!

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    My married name is shared by some Canadian tennis player based out of T.O. And my first and last maiden name has never come up, ever.

    I'm sure your crush wouldn't run the other way Artemis - who doesn't like people who like, or used to like, them? I remember finding out about a guy in university who had a crush on me and I was so touched! Of course the key is that the crushee isn't a psycho...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home