Face to Face With City Council
I promised to tell you about the community association meeting I went to where I met my new city councillor. I got a call late Sunday night about the meeting and since it was supposedly about what's been going on with the development behind our house, I thought I should go. Well, it was 6 people and then the councillor. At first I felt duped, like I was being used to try and boost numbers at what was clearly just a regular association meeting. Then I realized the fantastic opportunity that had been dropped in my lap to let MY councillor know MY concerns! We did talk about the new four-storey seniors' residence going up behind us, but none of us are too concerned about some wealthy, old people taking up space there. The most productive part of the meeting was when we talked about the vandalism that occurs in our neighbourhood, particularly on my street and in the pedestrian overpass (which this councillor actually had built!). I really liked this woman and she clearly knows pretty much everything there is to know about municipal politics, having been a councillor and mayor for a number of years previously. I feel confident that she's going to represent my concerns very well and let me tell you - no one is ever going to walk over this councillor! Watch out Larry O'Brien, you won't pull one over on those eyes! Anyway, I intend to send her an email (she gave me her business card) to reiterate things brought up at the meeting. I've always been so shy about communicating with my elected political representatives but she actually made me realize that the more they hear from their constituents, the more proof and leverage they have to fight for the things we want! D'uh, of course!
Anyway, yesterday was really nice with Krazy having the day off. I'm still feeling incredibly bloated, crampy, and all-around poopy so he took Tink off my hands for quite a while. Plus we got lots of shopping done at Bayshore and Centrum so we don't have to freak out next week when there's only a few days before the big flight home.
Anyway, yesterday was really nice with Krazy having the day off. I'm still feeling incredibly bloated, crampy, and all-around poopy so he took Tink off my hands for quite a while. Plus we got lots of shopping done at Bayshore and Centrum so we don't have to freak out next week when there's only a few days before the big flight home.


4 Comments:
At 1:44 PM,
Mistress La Spliffe said…
Good girl! Use that democracy!
At 2:07 PM,
Anonymous said…
Good for you!
At 2:48 PM,
Melbine said…
Yeah, I was so excited when I got home from that meeting! I'm thinking of volunteering with the community association. Not on the executive or anything, but I like being in the loop. :)
At 4:38 PM,
Anonymous said…
Good for you! Now that you're at home with the kid(s), it is a good time for volunteering your time within your community and shaping it to your ideals!
Post a Comment
<< Home