A Patch of Blue

But if we share our sadness, And hopes and feelings too; Amid the frequent rain of tears, We'll find our patch of blue. - Eleisha John

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Old vs. New

I keep getting the blogger screen that asks me if I want to switch to their new template and I keep saying no. I'm sure that it's fabulous but I don't really like change. This statement stretches across all aspects of my life, unless my life is feeling pretty shitty and it's time for a change. But that's different. I'm talking about physical, material change...like, I held onto tape cassettes and VCRs for as long as I could. I also avoided digital cameras like the plague for a long time and I'll be damned if I ever get a cell phone that I watch tv on. You might think that I am a Luddite since all of my resistance to change has to do with technology. I think I could potentially be a Luddite but it would be too much effort to convert completely and I'm fairly lazy about things like that.

I was talking to my father last night because I was wondering if I should add one of my uncle's new girlfriend's onto his Christmas card. The conversation turned to Christmas lights (don't ask me why) and when I told him we bought LED lights this year, he thought that was a horrible idea. He said everyone he talked to felt they didn't work half the time, and when they did, they didn't burn nearly as brightly. This is really funny because Krazy's parents just told us a few days ago how much brighter their new LEDs are. Maybe it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

10 Comments:

  • At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like the idea of the LEDs, I want them to be better but the ones we bought last year were so blue instead of the nice crisp white. The multicolour ones a pretty but if you just want white lights they aren't as nice.

    Change. Why can't time just stand still for a bit?!

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    I'm all for the idea of the LEDs. I hope ours don't end up being duds because they weren't cheap! We might not even get them up this year, knowing how lazy we are..

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6:25 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    That's actually why we're getting off our lazy butts and even putting lights in our tree this year! I'm sure that Tink is going to love them (oops, noticed you used his other alias!) and that's what I'm most looking forward to.

    My Dad's on crack. :) Nah, he just felt they weren't as bright..

     
  • At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I didn't even know what LED lights were until reading this post and investigating....

    I can't see anyone having a problem with them, seeing as how they:

    use up to 95% less energy;
    last at least 10 times longer;
    are more durable, with no filaments or glass bulbs to break; and
    produce very little heat, reducing the risk of fire.

    My roommate really wants to put up lights around our living room but I just can't be bothered. It's not like we have a tree or anything. And I don't want to push holes into the walls. And the ceilings are so high - how would we even get up there?

    That being said, the thought of having my own home and stringing lights up outside really gives me warm and fuzzies inside. :o)

     
  • At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ooops. Go ahead and delete it.

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Oops, I forgot like, half a sentence in my last post!

    What I said was, I know, Artemis, I can't be bothered half the time to get the place all dolled up for Christmas. But you're right, with my own wonderful place and token tree outside to string lights on, I should enjoy doing it! I love the holidays, but I ain't no Martha Stewart!

     
  • At 2:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think that the only lighing that looks good on a Christmas trees is candles. Sure people will say that they're a fire hazard, but they're not dangerous. Just don't leave them lit when you're gone.

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger katrina said…

    um, about the cell phone resistance...
    I totally did that until I landed here in this crazy country and was pressured into getting one, now I couldn't live without it... clock, alarm clock, korean-english dictionary, measurement conversions, games and text messages all in one handy little device (and I got the cheapest one available!) SWEET! totally sold out to the cell phone culture, and not looking back.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home