Watch Your Midol Intake
What a strange last 24 hours I have endured! After feeling quite jittery and noticing the heart pattering a bit faster yesterday afternoon, I vaguely remembered that Midol Extra Strength may have some caffeine in it. When I couldn't get to sleep last night until midnight, I again vaguely remembered but mostly thought there must be something wonky going on with the moon. Then at 5:40 a.m. I woke up and felt crampy, so I went to grab more Midol and happened to read what was in it. There is 500 mg of acetaminophen (whoa!) and 60 mg of caffeine per capsule. Per capsule. Jaysus. Then I popped 2 more anyway! I took 6 yesterday between the hours of 7:30 and 4:30 - good thing I stopped then or I would have been awake until 2 a.m.! This means I ingested 360 mg of caffeine yesterday. My body is not used to caffeine at all, besides the 13 mg of caffeine that you can find in a 1/4 cup of baker's chocolate chips (my daily chocolate quota). I remember in university when Krazy gave me some of his caffeine pills so I could stay awake to write a paper...I ended up going to the emergency room because I thought I was having a heart attack! The lesson of the day is to stick with Advil for cramps, or better yet, don't have a KFC binge and your cramps might not be bad enough to require medication!
Today I went to my eye appointment with my new eye doctor. Has anyone ever had weird steroid drops put in their eyes so that they can be dilated during your appointment? Talk about f-ing you right up. Plus I was still a little juiced up on caffeine so all in all I've had a pretty surreal morning. The most surreal part was, while waiting for Krazy and Tink to pick me up after my appointment, watching cars circle around and around and around in the parking lot, waiting for people to leave so they could take their spot. It was a very intense battle for these drivers, but pretty amusing for me. No wait, the most surreal part was getting home after being out at the mall and interacting with people..and only then noticing that my right eye was still hugely dilated. I looked like some kind of freakish vampire!
Tomorrow I will regale you with the community association meeting I went to last night where I met my city councillor. Very exciting.
Today I went to my eye appointment with my new eye doctor. Has anyone ever had weird steroid drops put in their eyes so that they can be dilated during your appointment? Talk about f-ing you right up. Plus I was still a little juiced up on caffeine so all in all I've had a pretty surreal morning. The most surreal part was, while waiting for Krazy and Tink to pick me up after my appointment, watching cars circle around and around and around in the parking lot, waiting for people to leave so they could take their spot. It was a very intense battle for these drivers, but pretty amusing for me. No wait, the most surreal part was getting home after being out at the mall and interacting with people..and only then noticing that my right eye was still hugely dilated. I looked like some kind of freakish vampire!
Tomorrow I will regale you with the community association meeting I went to last night where I met my city councillor. Very exciting.


6 Comments:
At 1:48 PM,
Mistress La Spliffe said…
I get nasty cramps, but usually some Pilates, a hot water bottle, and lots of complaining put me right.
At 2:00 PM,
Melbine said…
You know, I've barely had cramps since I had Tink, but this time and last time have been similar to pre-baby. And I can completely relate it to my diet. What you do is good though and common sense if I'd just think about - exercise and heat!
At 2:04 PM,
Anonymous said…
I take Excedrin. There is caffeine in it as well but I also take it for my migranes and caffeine helps that. Plus, I only usually have cramps for day one and I do like the mistress, yoga and heated herb pad that smells like lavendar and makes me happy. I always thought that Midol was an advertising gimmick aimed at women to convince us that they had come up with the secret formula to cure our monthly ills. I decided early on I'd rather skip class and go for a walk. It helped but usually led to shopping.
I've had that done to my eyes. No one told me I couldn't drive home and so it was a strange drive home towards the sun. Yikes. I should have gone for a walk and had a coffee somewhere but that never occured to me. It was a while ago.
At 3:59 PM,
Melbine said…
I usually only have one bad morning or afternoon of cramps, which is why this particular menstruation is pissing me off. This is the first (and last!) bottle of Midol that I bought, I think I made Krazy go out and buy me something during a bad episode one time. I've had it for a while now, time to get rid of it!
Apparently Krazy thinks he's fine to drive for his appt. in a few days. He thinks as long as he has his extra-duty sunglasses he'll be okay. He did it last time so I suppose he's right!
At 11:09 AM,
Anonymous said…
Well, you tell him not to rush home. Even with heavy duty sunglasses, it would be wise to stop for a coffee to get used to it before heading out on the road. What was that special drink he liked so much at Second Cup? Just bring that up and it won't be nagging. It will be planting an idea and he won't be able to refuse the treat.
At 12:47 PM,
Melbine said…
That's brilliant! And there's a coffee shop right beside the eye doctor's office so he can't really refuse the idea...hmm, I suspect he's going to read this and know that I'm trying to 'plant an idea'!
Post a Comment
<< Home