A Patch of Blue

But if we share our sadness, And hopes and feelings too; Amid the frequent rain of tears, We'll find our patch of blue. - Eleisha John

Thursday, November 23, 2006

I Want Candy

Somehow against all my vows to not bring candy and sugar into the house, I keep bringing candy and sugar into the house. I have gained about 5 pounds since Hallowe'en and Tink's birthday. I always gain a couple of pounds around Hallow'en because sugar is my Achilles' heel. But now that there is going to be birthday cake at this time of year as well, I'm a wee bit screwed. I polished off the full second half of Tink's cake. Then I went and bought a cake mix and made another cake to eat, essentially by myself. I decided this past weekend that enough was enough - no more sugar!

Yesterday while Tink and I were out for our walk, a car actually stopped and the man handed me a bag of Glosette raisins and a Snickers bar: "For the baby". Yeah sure mister, I'll make sure the baby gets it. Heh heh. I had that polished off within 5 minutes of getting home. Then today while visiting Sweet One, she gives me a bag of sugar-coated dried berries from Costco because they're "too sweet for her". Do I have some kind of sign on my forehead that says "I ACCEPT SUGAR!!"??

I'm not complaining but it seems like it must be my destiny to get a daily dose of sugar. I'm not addicted. I can stop anytime I want to. Really.

9 Comments:

  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Mistress La Spliffe said…

    I had the same problem - still do - and get around it by cutting out all REFINED sugar. It's worked beautifully. I eat all the honey I want and put refined cane juice (crystals) into my coffee. I make my desserts with maple syrup or honey, and I always buy quality. And then I inform myself I can have all the chocolate I want, as long as it's good quality chocolate, which isn't so easy to get.

    It sounds flaky but it means I eat less sweet, because my tongue is happy to search for the subtleties of the different honey and maple syrup tastes, and after eating quality chocolate for a few months candy bars start tasting reeeeeeally gross.

    But then you're lactating, so maybe you need the sugar and shouldn't worry about it.

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's a good idea, Mistress. I think it's weird that some guy pulled up in a car and handed you candy for the baby. Babies don't need candy! And that's just a strange thing to do.

    A lot of my recipes call for maple syrop in large quantities and the dude gets upset when I use it because it is expensive - like a cup of maple syrop in a batch of muffins. They were really good muffins - there must be a cheaper place to get maple syrop than the Loeb Glebe.

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Blogger Mistress La Spliffe said…

    Booooo to Loeb. You should stock up when you go up North or go through North Bay. We buy direct from a sugar bush and while it isn't cheap it's cheaper than the cheapest grocery store in Toronto.

     
  • At 7:52 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Mm, I love honey and maple syrup and quality chocolate. I love cheap, chocolate bar chocolate too. What's going to happen when I stop lactating though??

    Maybe you could tap a few trees in your neighbourhood Sugarplum! Just kidding, but I'm lucky enough to get maple syrup from my parents. Yum.

    I'm hungry.

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    ps - I thought it was kind of weird too but the woman saw Tink while she was getting her mail and then they pulled up afterwards. So there is a bit of a context. People react in all kinds of ways to Tink, he seems to have quite the effect!

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger Andrea Bowers said…

    I think mistress la spliffe nailed it. Go for quality.
    Dark chocolate, 70-85% cocoa, fair trade and organic is nice. A little piece of the good stuff goes a long way. (Usually works for me anyway.)

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Oh, it's a given that I have a piece of 72% cocoa every day. :) I've been out for a while though now so I've been resorting to a handful of chocolate chips!

     
  • At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I also think it's weird that someone just handed you candy, hahaha.

    I have the same problem. My mom gave me a bag of about 50 mini halloween candies, and I had them polished off in a couple of days. I can't just eat one at a time like a normal person, I have to eat 20! Or at least one of each flavour.

    One of my roommate's friends just got a job at the Cadbury factory downtown - he keeps bringing us discounted candy! Gah!!!

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Mistress La Spliffe said…

    I just had a slice of tiramisu for breakfast.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home