A Patch of Blue

But if we share our sadness, And hopes and feelings too; Amid the frequent rain of tears, We'll find our patch of blue. - Eleisha John

Monday, December 04, 2006

What A Rollercoaster

The weekend was full of highs and lows and it all started with watching the film Aurore. It's based on the true story of Aurore Gagnon, a girl who was killed by her stepmother and father in 1920. It's easily the most intense movie that I've seen in the last couple of years and not what I was expecting when we decided to have a relaxing Friday night and pop in a movie. It was likely very important that I watched it, but it wasn't so great for my psyche. I think people should see it but I would attach a viewer discretion to my recommendation. It is not for the very sensitive souls that will fall apart at the realistic portrayal of child abuse. Even Krazy was horrified, and I don't say that because he is insensitive. He just doesn't very often show his sensitivity so that says a lot about this film.

Saturday brought a gorgeous, sunny morning with enough snow on the ground to take Tink out on his brand-new sled from Sears. He really loved it! It made me so happy to see him so thrilled and curious about snow and about his new mode of transportation. I'm looking forward to many outdoor walks this winter and getting around on the canal with our sled.


Yesterday brought another low point with Krazy's workplace Christmas party and the line-up from Hell to get a photo taken with Santa. We waited an hour and both Tink and I ended up very cranky by the end of it. One of my biggest pet-peeves in the world is line-ups and I've been this way as long as I can remember. Throw in a Christmas CD on rotation, 50 cranky children who didn't get their afternoon nap (don't worry, we didn't go until after Tink had his), and a hormonal imbalance otherwise known as PMS, and you can imagine my mood. Then, just as I thought, Tink reacted badly to the big guy in red.

Don't worry, the weekend ended on a high note when Whistler and Sweet One came over to see their grandson after the Christmas party. They treated us to KFC (as suggested by myself) for supper and gawd it was good! So wrong, but so right; even if I am having to pop midol all day, since we all know how much Kentucky Fried Chicken exacerbates menstrual cramps.

9 Comments:

  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Mistress La Spliffe said…

    Actually, I didn't know it exacerbated cramps. Makes sense, though, all that estrogen.

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think KFC causes problems on its own but I overdosed on the stuff in Japan and it makes me want to puke when I smell it now.

    Poor Tink. I think all kids hate Santa until they are old enough to understand that he is going to give them gifts. Just goes to show you how unnatural and creepy commercial Christmas has gotten that you have to be programed into liking it. We bought out Christmas Tree and set it up before the dude went back to NB.

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Grease and sugar always make my cramps worse!

    Tink was happy with Santa while toddling over to him and even sitting on his lap. It was only when I jogged away so they could get a picture that he really got upset. Like, why are you leaving me with this freak mommy??

    I bet the tree looks great Sugarplum!?

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It does. We don't have many decorations and a few of the ones we have are pretty tacky - we only have 6 glass balls but we have a lot of lights and I made a bunch of red bows to fill up the empty spaces. I wonder now why I didn't get anything for the tree when I was in Japan. I'm sure I could have found something though I don't remember seeing much. I ADORE my little wooden elf from Finland.

    When are you putting your tree up?

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did you get that KFC festive special?

    I mean holiday feast!

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Gasp - I didn't know about the holiday feast! Damn!

    We're actually not putting a tree up Sugarplum..I know, horrible isn't it! The thing is that Tink and I leave in less than 2 weeks now until after Christmas so there doesn't seem much point.

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Then you guys will have to come over and have a cup of tea here and he can play with Minou and the tree. Or watch Minou play with the tree.

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    I'd say let him watch Minou play with the tree. I don't know that you want to let that boy near the tree!

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Momma knows best. There's a bell near the bottom that Minou likes to ring.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home