Speaking of Denial
I watched a really disturbing documentary on The Fifth Estate last night called 'The Denial Machine'. It was about a small group of scientists (that are often funded by oil companies) that are encouraging skepticism about global warming. At first the documentary was discussing the Bush's administration and how they have completely duped the American public into believing that there is not enough evidence for global warming (which there is). Then it went on to prove how step-by-step the Harper government has taken the exact same steps.
I went to bed feeling so depressed and helpless. It also made me more determined than ever to do everything that I can to help fight the global warming battle. So the first thing I am going to do is start writing some letters to my MP and the environment minister, Rona Ambrose.
You might counter, well maybe the documentary was funded by environmental lobbyists who just want to push their agenda. Even if this was remotely true, I still don't see why we wouldn't want to do things to make the environment cleaner anyway. There's no need to follow Bush and Harper's philosophy, which is that we can't possibly meet certain Kyoto criteria or goals so why even bother?
I went to bed feeling so depressed and helpless. It also made me more determined than ever to do everything that I can to help fight the global warming battle. So the first thing I am going to do is start writing some letters to my MP and the environment minister, Rona Ambrose.
You might counter, well maybe the documentary was funded by environmental lobbyists who just want to push their agenda. Even if this was remotely true, I still don't see why we wouldn't want to do things to make the environment cleaner anyway. There's no need to follow Bush and Harper's philosophy, which is that we can't possibly meet certain Kyoto criteria or goals so why even bother?


6 Comments:
At 1:32 PM,
Anonymous said…
The Fifth Estate has put our some interesting documentaries. There are so many documentaries on the Environment - I hope we are able to get the message across to Harper's Conservatives. I am so embarassed about what Rona has been doing in the Kyoto talks. I think Canadians are going to send them a real message sooner rather than later.
At 4:55 PM,
Mistress La Spliffe said…
There's no choice, really, when our governments are being so unaccountable to what I feel most people really do want.
At 10:02 AM,
Anonymous said…
Most people in the cities. I wonder if people in the countryside feel the same way? We can really feel and see the damage being done to the environment in the city. What our neighbour puts on his lawn ends up in ours and irritates our children's lungs and skin when they play on our lawns. The smog days are multiplying and anyone who lives in the cities would agree that efforts towards taking cars off the road is always a good idea. But when you live in the country - is the damage we are doing to the environment so obvious?
At 10:20 AM,
Melbine said…
Yeah it is actually. Smog advisories now affect most of Ontario, including rural areas.
Unfortunately the problem with living in a rural area is that you really do need your vehicles to get around as there is no public transit. Actually, the problem isn't that people have vehicles, it's that a lot of families in the countryside have 3 or 4 vehicles. Because they can; because they like toys.
At 11:00 AM,
Anonymous said…
Well, it doesn't matter how many you own if you can only drive one at a time. My Dad has 3 vehicles but two of them (sports car and motorcycle) are always in the garage being protected from the weather. I guess the problems are just different in the countryside. I hope they don't blame all the smog on us city folks!
At 2:05 PM,
Melbine said…
The problems definitely are different in the countryside. I guess what I meant by 3 or 4 vehicles is because 3 or 4 drivers live in a house and need their own vehicles because of their different schedules. AKA there's not much car pooling in the country. :) Well, there is...I don't know...everyone's got their own set of problems!
Post a Comment
<< Home