A Walk Down Memory Lane
I was writing a reply to Little Guy's e-mail, who is in his first year of university. All of a sudden it hit me that either today, yesterday, or Sunday was the 9th anniversary of getting my appendix out way back in first year! I didn't think much of it at the time because I was young and ridiculously able to bounce back from anything, but man that really sucked. I depended mostly upon the kindness of Mistress and Rodelinda to visit me at the hospital, bring me back to residence, and make sure that I had meals to eat from the crappy cafeteria that probably made my appendix burst in the first place.
Little Guy was also telling me about how he finds it hard to sleep and how he's relieved to have found some guys to rent a place with next year. Even though it has been almost a decade, I can so easily situate myself back into my first year of university at residence. I was so, so sad when the year ended because even then I knew that the unique situation would never happen again. Yes, there was a lot to complain about and it's not that I wanted to repeat the experience. But how cool is it to spend 8 months with hundreds of other kids your age, all living on one block. I made friends there that continue to be my closest friends today.
Anyway, I didn't mean to write about this but I'm glad I did. If you have the time, maybe you should take a trip down memory lane and think about what you were doing 9 or 10 years ago this week.
Little Guy was also telling me about how he finds it hard to sleep and how he's relieved to have found some guys to rent a place with next year. Even though it has been almost a decade, I can so easily situate myself back into my first year of university at residence. I was so, so sad when the year ended because even then I knew that the unique situation would never happen again. Yes, there was a lot to complain about and it's not that I wanted to repeat the experience. But how cool is it to spend 8 months with hundreds of other kids your age, all living on one block. I made friends there that continue to be my closest friends today.
Anyway, I didn't mean to write about this but I'm glad I did. If you have the time, maybe you should take a trip down memory lane and think about what you were doing 9 or 10 years ago this week.


3 Comments:
At 1:48 PM,
Anonymous said…
Who knows what I was doing 9 years ago this week! I did visit you in your room but other than that...
I was just starting to think for myself and realize that I wasn't happy with my then boyfriend. I can't help but be annoyed at myself when I think back to that time that it took me so long to understand what I wanted and who I was becoming and to apply that to my life. I'd much rather look back to a couple years later when I had developed into the person I was becoming.
Being and becoming. Hmmm.
At 3:13 PM,
Mistress La Spliffe said…
Taking you to the hospital, I believe. And being confused about the difference between Arabs and Muslims. Geez. I was a retard. But you're right, that was a special year with lots of special people in it, who are still around because I'm a lucky, lucky girl.
At 8:42 AM,
Melbine said…
I think you were sorting through my dirty clothes Mistress, looking for something suitable for me to wear home from the hospital!
Being and becoming - I shudder when I hear those words! Oh the picture's not always pretty when I look back to first year either. The wardrobe, the skin, the awkwardness, the extra 5 pounds. But I still like to look back and think about who I was because at the end of the day, I wouldn't have changed anything about my 19 year old self..
Post a Comment
<< Home