Bob, You Should Know Better
I caught some of a mayoral debate on the local cable channel a few nights ago and was very appalled at Bob Chiarelli's blatant smear tactics towards Alex Munter. I mean, the guy appalls me on a regular basis without that kind of behaviour, but still! He should really know better, he's been in this game long enough. As Alex pointed out, Bob is now running on a campaign of desperation. Every time he opened his mouth, it was to try and reveal every skeleton that Alex Munter supposedly had in his closet from the last 15 years. Ridiculous. And Canadians don't like that kind of politics.
I have been watching the shocking American election ads and wondering if they actually work. It's so, um, childish? Have you seen any? For such a libel-happy nation, I'm surprised that they're allowed to so blatantly slander each other. Remember how the Canadian Liberals ran a few ads like that regarding Stephen Harper? Remember how repulsed Canadians were with the Liberals and turned their backs on them once and for all? I'm not saying that was the only reason the Conservatives got elected, but they were smart enough to know that we don't like when politicans show their smear cards openly.
Anyway, election day is less than a week away and I am so very curious to see who will fill the city council table. I've already put my two cents in with the advance polls, I hope to see my people elected!
I have been watching the shocking American election ads and wondering if they actually work. It's so, um, childish? Have you seen any? For such a libel-happy nation, I'm surprised that they're allowed to so blatantly slander each other. Remember how the Canadian Liberals ran a few ads like that regarding Stephen Harper? Remember how repulsed Canadians were with the Liberals and turned their backs on them once and for all? I'm not saying that was the only reason the Conservatives got elected, but they were smart enough to know that we don't like when politicans show their smear cards openly.
Anyway, election day is less than a week away and I am so very curious to see who will fill the city council table. I've already put my two cents in with the advance polls, I hope to see my people elected!


4 Comments:
At 10:49 AM,
Mistress La Spliffe said…
Political advertising is a little different. It often works because people know they should care, and are happy to be told what to care about by television because that way they don't have to read anything. I hope it doesn't catch on here, though.
At 11:13 AM,
Anonymous said…
From my experience Americans are just as annoyed by them as we are but when everyone does it you have to just go with your gut and vote for whomever you want to vote for. The Conservatives did do some smearing of their own and everyone got a bit ugly at the end last time. I think it can be very difficult to keep from getting nasty when you're desperate like Bob. But I don't think the general public pays THAT much attention to know what kind of small battles are being faught in city politics.
At 1:24 PM,
Melbine said…
Yeah, I'm sure there are many, many Americans who despise those ads too. I don't think it's going to catch on here because people are pretty vocal about their displeasure...
I wish people paid more attention to city politics, they're probably the most important politicians!
At 3:30 PM,
Anonymous said…
I agree. They have the most influence over our daily lives and can do something concrete about the issues that concern us most including environmental issues. The city politicians make decisions about what to do with our waste, public transportation and so many issues that frustrate us to no end. If we don't keep an eye on them we can't complain about these issues. People expect the Conservatives to do something green but the city has the power to get the ball rolling.
Post a Comment
<< Home