A Patch of Blue

But if we share our sadness, And hopes and feelings too; Amid the frequent rain of tears, We'll find our patch of blue. - Eleisha John

Monday, November 13, 2006

An Assortment of Things

We are loving our zip.ca subscription! We watched our two movies on the weekend and are eagerly waiting to see what will come next. I have been adding lots of films to our list, who doesn't love a wishlist? It's great fun to type in favourite actors, actresses, and directors and then just add everything you haven't seen. Poor Krazy, he better start putting more of his own choices on or movie night is always going to equate to my selection!

Today is election day but I made my selection two weeks ago. Krazy went and voted at lunch, he said it was pretty busy. I am very curious to hear about the voter turn-out this time around. Back at home, my parents vote by mail and my father said that they sent duplicates and also cards for siblings of mine that no longer live at home. I know it's hard to find resources since it is usually temporary help looking after it, but they should really be more thorough with the voter lists. This is a very important matter!

Krazy and I were looking at houses for sale in the area we're looking to move to in a few years. Over the course of this activity, we discovered that we're envisioning really different ideas of how we're going to live. He pictures a chalet on the Great Lake whereas I'm picturing a century farmhouse with a cow or two and some chickens. He thinks I'm trying to recreate some idllyic notion of my childhood but I've insisted that it's not so. The truth is that I am so disheartened by all of the people I know who have had to pull out of farming in the last couple of years. I feel like if I 'get into it' that I can help resurrect the dying small family farm. It's silly, but that's what I like to daydream about. I've also been known to consider re-opening my mother's family's hotel (aka town bar) and returning it to its former glory. The rational part of me knows that I am indulging in some unrealistic (both of these ideas would involve a lot of unglorious work), Pastoral notions, but the irrational part of me thinks that it could be just wonderful.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Either or sounds like a piece of heaven to me. I think you could pull either off if you want to. Even if you just do a hobby farm that produces enough to feed your family and a little extra. Nothing wrong with wanting that and I don't think it is so pie in the sky.

     
  • At 5:27 PM, Blogger Mistress La Spliffe said…

    Figaro usually chooses our movies, and that's usually fine. I saw my first Marx Brothers movie this weekend. Fucking funneeeee.

     
  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Yeah, I can't complain about whatever we end up since we're going to be in the part of the province that I want to be in! It is a little pie in the sky to want a hobby farm because I know the commitment and work that goes into it and I'm not 100% sure I want to deal with the reality of it.

    The Marx Brothers are definitely funny. We don't have that quick repartee in our films anymore!

     
  • At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd come and help you take care of your animals but then you'd eat them and I'd be mad at you so I won't offer my help for your pie in the sky unless it's a sheep and veggie farm and all you're making is wool.

     
  • At 7:15 AM, Blogger katrina said…

    um, don't you remember fondly all the chores? (and picking stones?) :-)
    my ideal I think is what krazy's ideal is - but I grew up in a similar place to what he's describing!

    yeah, zip.ca rocks. my ex-roomie had it, and was ADDICTED. it's like crack-cocaine for movie lovers... :-P

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Don't even get me started on picking stones Kat! I could definitely get used to Krazy's ideal, maybe we'll have to have a summer residence, ha-ha!

    Sugarplum, I don't know if I could eat my animals! Maybe after they died of natural causes. Maybe you could help me in the garden..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home