A Patch of Blue

But if we share our sadness, And hopes and feelings too; Amid the frequent rain of tears, We'll find our patch of blue. - Eleisha John

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Wrong Number

This morning a guy called and as soon as I said hello he realized that he had the wrong number. He said "Oh, I think I have the wrong number. Is this Ed's office?" I told him that it's not. Then he said...and rattled off my number. I said, "Yup, that's what you called!" And he grunted huh and said bye. He must have copied the number down wrong from Ed or something.

It's been so interesting to be at home during the day to talk to all the people who call the wrong number or daytime telemarketers. I actually quite enjoy talking to people, whether they intended to talk to me or not. Even if they're trying to get me to sell my soul and sign up for their extended warranty insurance..it's nice! I somehow get hypnotized by the sales pitch because they speak in such a monotone voice. I think I'm a bit of a telemarketer tease, I tend to lead them on with encouraging uh-huh's and then at the end of it all say, "Sorry, I'm going to have to pass!"

Oh wow, the guy just called back again! We finally figured it out, he was having a dyslexic moment and mixing up the first two numbers. How funny is that.

As you can see, nothing too profound or meaningful is going on right now. But every day can't be like that can it? Sometimes your day is just about spilling mushed carrots on the floor and having a moment with a guy who can't dial the phone number right.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Hmm, good question. They probably hate us all. And vice versa right?!

    Maybe I like the adult conversation instead of taa-taa and oochie-goochie-bop-bop!

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Blogger Mistress La Spliffe said…

    Maybe you just like wasting their time. Good for you. Figaro, when he had a land line, would ask them to hold on a minute after the first part of their sales pitch, and then put the phone down on a table and walk away.

    Forever.

     
  • At 3:36 PM, Blogger Sugarplum said…

    That's GREAT! He's a funny guy, that Figaro.

    My sister said sometimes she goes crazy for some adult conversation after being with the kids all day. It makes sense.

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    I love Figaro's approach! When Tink was first born I had many semi-legitimate excuses such as, I'm busy trying to put my son to sleep (well then why did I answer the phone right?), trying to feed him etc. Or sometimes I'd be holding him and he'd be crying and they'd instantly apologize for bothering me, knowing they weren't going to get anything out of me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home