A Patch of Blue

But if we share our sadness, And hopes and feelings too; Amid the frequent rain of tears, We'll find our patch of blue. - Eleisha John

Saturday, September 09, 2006

What Is It About A Fireman?

Today was a fun and busy one. Nelbine and I caught the bus at noon to go to the bridal show where we were able to grab some free samples of catering and sweets and go moon-eyed over the firemen. They were there to promote their upcoming calendar and 'fashion' show next month in support of the University of Ottawa Heart Institute. I thought I had come a long way from getting shy and flustered around a man but apparently it can still happen! Sorry Krazy, but even you would have been impressed with this certain fireman's (they were even in their uniforms) physique and blue eyes.

After the show it was off to pick up Sugarplum and then back on the road to Central Park for a pie-tasting contest. It was very surreal to go from the ultimate in materialism at the bridal show to the raw foodist's hippie pie contest where I felt uncomfortable because I wasn't wearing a homemade knit jacket or had a hankie in my hair! It was a gorgeous day though and we just sat in the grass discussing teaching, weddings, and boys who are obsessed with sports.

Nelbine and I caught another bus down to the market after this so we could meet up with The Cuz, Krazy, Tink, and Jericho for a nice dinner at The Keg. I'm very impressed that I have enough family in the city to fill a table at a restaurant. We're scattered all over the city and we don't get together near often enough, but I'm glad we went out tonight.

I can feel the old bones nodding off due to exhaustion from being awake 2 hours in the wee morning so I'm going to try and get to bed early tonight. Oh yeah, we also ran into an old friend and her French boyfriend in the Glebe on the way to the pie contest. It was great to see her as I'm quite certain that we haven't talked since my baby shower last October!!

6 Comments:

  • At 6:29 PM, Blogger Sugarplum said…

    Yeah, I'm never sure what to make of that sort of raw foodist event. I'm glad you came with me 'cause I was curious and I'm sure my fiance wouldn't have enjoyed himself. They have a potluck once a month but I'd never go to that as curious as I might be about raw food. It is interesting to me - there are so many ingenious ideas that are involved and I have no doubt that it is healthy but what do you do when you're cold and all you want is some hot soup or a cup of tea? Do they drink tea?

     
  • At 6:52 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Good question! I know that it's healthy too but I just couldn't live my life without heated food! Even chocolate fondue for God's sake!

     
  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger Sugarplum said…

    True! There's something about a bowl of stew on a cold day or the early morning cup of coffee/tea. It's easy when you're vegan to find ways to make comfort foods like shepherd's pie and chili but comfort foods are all about warm and gooey. You just can't do that without having the oven/stove on for hours.

     
  • At 8:40 AM, Blogger Mistress La Spliffe said…

    There's alot to explore in the raw food movement but for me it's excessive - one of those 'the natural world provides everything we need' things without being able to admit human ingenuity is not, by its nature, unnatural and that cooking food is what lets us live in a huge range of climates without spending even more money and resources than we do shipping food from place to place.

    Can you tell I'm in one of my anti-pinko moods today?

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Anti-pinko, anti-pinko..hey, how did they come up with pinko as slang for communist? Hmmm...

     
  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger Mistress La Spliffe said…

    According to Wikipedia:

    The word 'pinko' first became popular during the Cold War to designate those who supported the Soviet Union. The word was predominantly used in the United States, where opposition to Communism grew strong among the population, especially during the era of the McCarthy hearings. One of the most famous uses of the word is a quote attributed to Richard Nixon, talking in 1950 about Helen Gahagan Douglas: "She's pink down to her underwear!", referring to the fact that at the time, pink was the main color of women's undergarments.

    The word 'pinko' likely has its origins in the relations between the colors white and red. Since pink is a lighter shade of red, the color most associated with communism, pink could be thought of as a "lighter form of communism" practiced by mere supporters of Marxism or socialism as opposed to card-carrying communists.

    One of the most famous uses of the term in popular culture was the ironic use by Charlie Daniels in his breakthrough 1972 hit "Uneasy Rider." The dope-running hippie narrator is stuck with a flat tire in Jackson, Mississippi. Attempting to avoid a beatdown by the local rednecks, he attempts to deflect attention to one of the locals by accusing him of being "a friend of them long haired, hippy-type, pinko fags" sent by the FBI to infiltrate to Ku Klux Klan.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home