One Anniversary, One Birthday, and a Movie
Today marks the 31st wedding anniversary of my parents as well as the 19th birthday of my baby brother, Little Guy. I called him at his residence room in university, which was very surreal. I left home when he was 10 so in many ways I missed out on the opportunity to truly watch him develop into the young man he is today. Sure I was at home during the summers and we've stayed in good touch as brother and sister. But I was thinking after our call that I don't know if I know him very well. I do and I don't. Does that make sense to anyone?
So the cleaning lady never did show up yesterday which meant I was left to fend for myself. I am not saying that I miss cleaning, but I did forget how satisfying it felt to walk away from a room or area that you've just made spotless. Satisfying indeed. I don't want her to miss every time, but maybe every once in a while would actually be good for me. And my bank account.
Nelbine and I are half way through The Lost City, the film by Andy Garcia about Cuba during the chaotic revolutionary years. It is very nicely filmed with fabulous music and a well-rounded cast. However, it is one of those movies where the speaking is very quiet and the action scenes are very loud! I was getting a bit frustrated constantly adjusting the volume. That's been the most frustrating part of my day so I can't really complain, can I!?
So the cleaning lady never did show up yesterday which meant I was left to fend for myself. I am not saying that I miss cleaning, but I did forget how satisfying it felt to walk away from a room or area that you've just made spotless. Satisfying indeed. I don't want her to miss every time, but maybe every once in a while would actually be good for me. And my bank account.
Nelbine and I are half way through The Lost City, the film by Andy Garcia about Cuba during the chaotic revolutionary years. It is very nicely filmed with fabulous music and a well-rounded cast. However, it is one of those movies where the speaking is very quiet and the action scenes are very loud! I was getting a bit frustrated constantly adjusting the volume. That's been the most frustrating part of my day so I can't really complain, can I!?


3 Comments:
At 9:21 PM,
Sugarplum said…
I know what you mean about your brother. I felt that way about my sister when I went to pick her up from university for the first time with my dad. I realized for the first time that she was a unique person who is very different from the big sister who used to torment me as a child. You get so used to seeing them within the family unit that it is hard to see them as a unique person without any of the association you have built around them.
I'm sure it's much different with your little brother because you only knew him as a child but I can sympathize with your moment.
At 8:30 AM,
Mistress La Spliffe said…
Me too. I was eleven when my next-youngest brother left home. I love them dearly and we're pretty close, but I don't know them, and they don't know me, the way they know each other.
At 7:59 PM,
Melbine said…
It's very true that it can be hard to separate your family dynamics from your family members as unique people. Of course my brother didn't just get on pause at age 10. But it's hard for older siblings to remember that sometimes. Sorry, babies of the family, but try to understand!
Post a Comment
<< Home