A Patch of Blue

But if we share our sadness, And hopes and feelings too; Amid the frequent rain of tears, We'll find our patch of blue. - Eleisha John

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Québecois Catharsis

I had good intentions of writing a post last night after Krazy and I finished watching a movie that I checked out of the library called "La Lune viendra d'elle-meme" by Marie-Jan Seille. Lately I have been taking out all of the films that received Telefilm Canada funding that I processed at my old job before I had a baby. Telefilm is a pretty fascinating institution with way too many complexities to blab about for a few minutes here. And just because a film receives funding from them, does NOT mean that it's a must-see movie. However, I am going to make a blanket statement and say that almost any film made in Québec is going to be pretty good. Last night was no exception and I was so affected that I couldn't sit down to write in my blog until this morning.

The film is about a woman who has AIDS and is going to a palliative home to die. It was such a beautiful, beautiful film but also very sad. Especially if there is someone in your life who is also dying a slow death. Fortunately for Aimée (main character), she had some amazing friends who took excellent care of her. Plus, the director managed to capture some really awe-inspiring moments such as close-ups of lilacs, leaves blowing in the breeze, the sound of a winter wind blowing, and what really got me, an ultrasound of a baby moving around.

I was crying on and off the last half of the film and it was so cathartic for me. I've been thinking so much about my grandmother who has Parkinson's lately and everything just sort of came gushing out. This film produced such a whirlwind of emotion in me, which is something I appreciate from a good movie. Men have sports and I have movies.

Anyway, you should go and rent it if you can. It's really good and only 80 minutes long. Make sure you're in the mood for what it might bring to the surface though.

ps - ha, I just told a telemarketer that a good time to call back would be...drum roll...never! Wow, I'm growing myself a set of balls here. Normally I meekly name some other time that would be better for them to harass me. Not anymore. Beware telemarketers!

4 Comments:

  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger Mistress La Spliffe said…

    "Les invasions barbares" is pretty cathartic too. No one does sad without melodrama like the Quebecois.

     
  • At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jesus de Montreal was really good too, and also more than average cathartic.

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Sugarplum said…

    I just watched Les invasions barbares the other day and enjoyed it. Although my fiance usually doesn't like things that make me cry or make me angry. I guess I'm emotional enough without movies interfering. Plus I don't recover quickly from movies. Just like you, Mel.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    I think that's what I like about movies - I want to feel emotion and think about why I'm feeling that emotion. I wouldn't want to ever become de-sensitized to them..

    I'm embarassed to say I haven't seen Les invasions yet, but I did see the decline of the American empire..no Jesus de Montreal yet either. So much to see!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home