Get Those Wagons Rollin'
Today I read an article on CNN (so ignore the crappy bylines) about the American population exploding and lots of Americans all annoyed about traffic congestion and dwindling natural resources. It's pretty interesting. I find it mostly interesting that the article talks about Europe and Japan's declining population and how fewer women are having babies in these places. I don't know about how Japan treats women with babies, but things seem pretty sweet in Europe. So why aren't they having babies? And why are so many American women popping them out when they get treated like crap?
Anyway, if I was an eleven-year-old 35mm film camera, where would I be? OC Transpo's lost and found has not come across it so I can only assume that it's either a) on the Hill where security has long since thrown it out or b) somewhere in this mess of a home.
Tink's RESP now has enough money for him to buy at least two textbooks. Sigh. It has a long way to go. Wait, what if he doesn't even want to go to school?! Krazy and I differ on our opinion about this. I say as long as he's happy he can join the circus for all I care. Krazy seems determined that he will go to university for an undergraduate degree at the minimum. Like I said, as long as he doesn't become a bum and can afford to support me when I'm old (!), who cares!
I'm all over the map today. I'm feeling pretty scattered...this can only mean one thing. Menstruation is looming in the background...
Anyway, if I was an eleven-year-old 35mm film camera, where would I be? OC Transpo's lost and found has not come across it so I can only assume that it's either a) on the Hill where security has long since thrown it out or b) somewhere in this mess of a home.
Tink's RESP now has enough money for him to buy at least two textbooks. Sigh. It has a long way to go. Wait, what if he doesn't even want to go to school?! Krazy and I differ on our opinion about this. I say as long as he's happy he can join the circus for all I care. Krazy seems determined that he will go to university for an undergraduate degree at the minimum. Like I said, as long as he doesn't become a bum and can afford to support me when I'm old (!), who cares!
I'm all over the map today. I'm feeling pretty scattered...this can only mean one thing. Menstruation is looming in the background...


3 Comments:
At 12:52 AM,
Anonymous said…
It's difficult for a woman in Japan to have a baby and keep her job. Many women quit their jobs when they get married or when they're about to have children. I'm not sure if the pressure is more social (women are expected to stay at home) or legal (Japanese labour law is good, but nobody follows or enforces it). But things are getting better here too - slowly, but I think they are. It just seems like the Japanese government doesn't realize what it needs to do if it wants women to get married and couples to have more children.
At 6:56 AM,
Mistress La Spliffe said…
I've read that about Japan. The Economist, that bastion of economic liberality, is all about getting chicks into the workforce, so it slams Japan's mat leave system but says its changing.
I think America gets really crowded because of athe fact so many of those immigrants are still practicing Catholics. They can cry me a river over thier natural resources and crowded roads, immigrants wouldn't be showing up there if natives weren't hiring them.
Wah wah wah. Always fucking whining, those Americans.
At 8:18 AM,
Melbine said…
I didn't know that about Japan but it's certainly not unbelievable. Glad to hear that things are changing..that still doesn't explain the European phenomenon to me. When I sent my wedding invitations to my great aunts and uncles in the Netherlands, my Oma reported to me that they were all surprised that people were still getting married in Canada. Those Dutch, so progressive...
Speaking of Americans, did you know it was Bush's 60th birthday yesterday??
Post a Comment
<< Home