A Patch of Blue

But if we share our sadness, And hopes and feelings too; Amid the frequent rain of tears, We'll find our patch of blue. - Eleisha John

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Only In Canada

We have been having a lovely visit with Nelbine and her beau since they arrived last night. Tink just loves them both and Jericho is staying with us for the weekend too and Tink's always happy to see him! He did not make a peep through the night and has been in great spirits today, even minus a late afternoon nap in lieu of heading downtown to celebrate Canada Day.

And is downtown ever celebrating! I forgot how much fun it is to just wander around the streets on Canada Day in Ottawa. I think half the reason alone is knowing it's the one day of the year where you can boldly stroll down Rideau and not get smucked into the ground by traffic. The other half is taking in all the freaks that truly take the holiday to heart and dress up in Canada flag outfits and are drunk by 3 p.m.

I did not realize that there were bag checks before getting access to the Hill. Did you know that? Only in Canada, though, would the security check be like this: R.C.M.P. officers set up at a church bazaar table, briefly rifling through people's things before sending them on their way to the capital's most important, and vulnerable, set of buildings. I mean, if you're going to make people stand in line to check their baby's diaper bag, at least make it worth it! I don't think the guy even looked inside it.

They were cranky though, wow. I asked if this was the first year they've been doing this and the female officer (aren't they always the cranky ones?) glared at me and responded, "No". Dead-pan. No further explanation. Excuse me for asking!

Anyway, the sibs are still downtown and Krazy and I brought Tink back so he could stay on his supper and bedtime schedule. I hope they have a good time and that one of the three has a drink for me. Happy Canada Day! And Happy 8 Months Tink!

ps - yesterday was fairly uneventful minus a physio appointment whereupon I learned that Mountie Man watches Canadian and American Idol! This brought him tumbling off his pedestal..but he still gives a great neck rub.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They do bag checks in Canada now? That's creepy. But Canada day in Ottawa's awesome... Happy Canada Day!

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Yeah, really creepy actually.

    When is Japan's national holiday?

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger Mistress La Spliffe said…

    Canadian Idol? Ew. I got, like, five Canadian Idol CDs as swag at the BRC Gala. Ew. I'm going to try to swap them for Katharine Hepburn movies at a used place.

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Melibine, good question... I don't know, and it's quite possible that there's no such thing. But I found this list on the Internet:

    Jan 01 -- New Year's Day.
    Jan 12 -- Coming of Age day or Young Adults Day.
    Feb 11 -- National Foundation Day.
    Mar 20 -- Spring Equinox.
    Apr 29 -- Nature Day.
    May 03 -- Constitution Day.
    May 04 -- People's Day.
    May 05 -- Children's Day.
    Jul 19 -- Day of the Sea or Marine Day.
    Sep 20 -- Respect for the Elders Day.
    Sep 23 -- Autumn Equinox.
    Oct 11 -- School Sports Day.
    Nov 03 -- Culture Day.
    Nov 23 -- Labor Thanksgiving Day.
    Dec 23 -- Emperor's Birthday.

    So that's lot of holidays, but neither one of them is Japan Day in the same sense as Canada Day is Canada Day.

     
  • At 11:21 AM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Mistress La Spliffe - you soo need to get rid of those Canadian Idol CDs! Yuck. Did you get anything else?

    Jiri - Japan has some cool holidays! Do you think Constitution Day might be their Canada Day equivalent? I never thought about it, but it's kinda cute that Canada's national holiday is actually called Canada Day. Even the States doesn't do that with July 4.

    Probably because Canada Day rolls so nicely off the tongue, as opposed to Japan Day or The United States of America Day.

     
  • At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No... The Constitution Day is hardly noticeable. People don't go to work, and some buses and trains get little Japanese flags on them, but otherwise nothing happens.

    And Canada Day does sound nice.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home