Friday Stream of Consciousness
I apologize in advance for the digressions and rambling that this post may take the form of. I'm just trying to sneak in writing time while everyone else naps (ironically my grandmother naps better than my son!). The good news of the day? The blasting daily less than 50 metres away from our house is finally done! A technician was removing the seismograph they've had plugged into our house for the last month so I ran out and said - "Does this mean the blasting is done??". He grinned and assured me it was. Yay! The bad news of the day? Hum...I can't think of anything right now, that's how nice of a day it's been so far.
I went to a wedding reception last night at an art gallery downtown. We were there for not quite two hours and it was really nice! It was, for all intents and purposes, a work gathering during non-work hours. The couple don't have too many friends outside of work. Sometimes it's really, really nice to talk with fellow co-workers and colleagues without all of the yucky office politics. I did find out that the girl who did her internship two summers after I did mine is going to be permanently working in the section I started out in. I'm very happy for her and I'm not surprised. She made it clear from her first day that her intent goal was to land a permanent job with this specific section. Then I started to feel sorry for myself and wondered about some of my decisions and maybe I should have been more focussed on becoming a permanent federal government employee. It took less than 24 hours for me to reject the doubt and regret. First of all, Tink is the best 'career' choice I have made yet. Second of all, I have no intentions of staying in Ottawa for even another two years so I don't think it would have been fair to my employers to have them go through the hassle (and it IS a big hassle to make someone permanent in the government), just to take off shortly after...anyway, it threw me for a little loop but I'm back on my happy track again.
What else? Busy weekend coming up with some more ringette games to go to and getting in some visiting time with Krazy's sister before she takes off for Amsterdam. Hmm, I'm starting to wonder if I should be looking at the Flemish part of the world - seems like lots of my friends and family are ending up there! Do a bit of a full circle thing..
I went to a wedding reception last night at an art gallery downtown. We were there for not quite two hours and it was really nice! It was, for all intents and purposes, a work gathering during non-work hours. The couple don't have too many friends outside of work. Sometimes it's really, really nice to talk with fellow co-workers and colleagues without all of the yucky office politics. I did find out that the girl who did her internship two summers after I did mine is going to be permanently working in the section I started out in. I'm very happy for her and I'm not surprised. She made it clear from her first day that her intent goal was to land a permanent job with this specific section. Then I started to feel sorry for myself and wondered about some of my decisions and maybe I should have been more focussed on becoming a permanent federal government employee. It took less than 24 hours for me to reject the doubt and regret. First of all, Tink is the best 'career' choice I have made yet. Second of all, I have no intentions of staying in Ottawa for even another two years so I don't think it would have been fair to my employers to have them go through the hassle (and it IS a big hassle to make someone permanent in the government), just to take off shortly after...anyway, it threw me for a little loop but I'm back on my happy track again.
What else? Busy weekend coming up with some more ringette games to go to and getting in some visiting time with Krazy's sister before she takes off for Amsterdam. Hmm, I'm starting to wonder if I should be looking at the Flemish part of the world - seems like lots of my friends and family are ending up there! Do a bit of a full circle thing..


7 Comments:
At 3:56 PM,
Dread Pirate Jessica said…
You're right to have been reassured. That "pension" word is very nice but it's not enough if your heart is elsewhere.
At 11:15 AM,
Sugarplum said…
It amazes me that you and your co-workers are so close. I'm not inviting anyone from work to my wedding - I considered it but we never hang out socially. You're lucky to have such a friendly place to work.
At 7:56 PM,
Melbine said…
Yeah I know - that's a big reason why I even considered making the commute to Timbuktu..
At 9:03 AM,
Sugarplum said…
Oh, my dear, you're the one in Timbuktu! You should carpool with your co-workers. There's a website something like ottawarideshare or something like that. It doesn't work for me but that's because no one commutes SOUTH of town to Manotick!
At 10:15 AM,
Melbine said…
Hey Sugarplum - actually, there's a hell of a lot more people where I live than where this building is! I've checked every damn site for carpooling, both at work and Ottawa city ones. Apparently people don't carpool around here. Not too many people have to go from Kanata to Gatineau? Anyway, I'm a pretty strict Tink schedule so it would be hard to find someone who would conform to my hours...gee, do I sound guilty with all my explanations? Trust me, I feel bad about it!
At 10:45 AM,
Sugarplum said…
I had a feeling those sites were useless.
At 11:18 AM,
Melbine said…
Honestly - they're pretty horrible. Those sites are such a great idea, but if you don't have people checking it regularly or staying up-to-date then they're not helpful. Don't get me wrong, definitely better than not doing anything..
Post a Comment
<< Home