A Patch of Blue

But if we share our sadness, And hopes and feelings too; Amid the frequent rain of tears, We'll find our patch of blue. - Eleisha John

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Damn Herpes

I have a big fat cold sore right in the centre of my upper lip, and while the tingling feels cool, I am very displeased with this new development. You're either a cold sore person or you're not. I just have to look at someone with one and the next day I start getting one myself. Then you have someone like Krazy who remains immune, even though, you know, we kiss and all. While I do normally get them at least one over the winter season, I have my suspicions that this is actually a stress cold sore.

I have been pretty stressed the last couple of days and it's all because I thought that Tink's pants smelled like pee after I picked him up from the sitter's on Monday. I got there and she was just getting ready to change him because he had spilled his water all over himself (which happens often enough, the valve sucks). So we got his pants off, left the wet onesie on and changed his diaper. When we got home I went to hang his pants up to dry and sniffed them and they smelled weird. Honestly, like pee. When I inquired the next day about it his sitter thought that it could have been that he sat in the plums he had for a snack a little bit (this could also be valid).

I do feel that she is not lying but I have a morbid worst-case scenario gene that's rearing its ugly head. All day at work yesterday I was wondering if he's being treated okay there...it escalated into the couple (the husband is at home as well) brainwashing all the children to deny that they're neglected and abused. This is really not good for me to keep thinking like this but I can't help it. I'm having a much harder time this week with the whole idea of a stranger taking care of him for 2 days every single week.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger Sugarplum said…

    Wow. That sucks that you have doubts about Tink's caregiver (You slipped and used his real name). It seemed like things were going so well. You did say yourself that he seemed fine until he saw you and that's when he started to cry. Is it possible that you miss him and so you're allowing yourself to think the worst just so you can quit your job and go back to being with him full-time? Whatever you do don't ignore your instincts on important matters such as this.

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Oops - I find it harder and harder to keep his alias going...things are still going well. It's just that you never know because you only ever see the caregiver's behaviour when it's being watched by you, you know? I'll just have to keep my eye open for things. The first day I picked him up ever I thought his breath smelled like vomit. I mean, I know what vomit and pee smell like. I don't think I'm purposefully looking for problems. We did arrange everything so quickly with her though..we might look into someone else that can take him 3 days/anyway because Sweet One won't be able to help us indefinitely. Anyway, the kids seem to really, really like her and he's behaved completely the same as when before he went and if something traumatic was happening to him every day that he was there, wouldn't be acting differently? As you can see, I flip-flop on this issue a lot!

     
  • At 4:31 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    Okay, the thing is I know sometimes he sticks his fingers in his mouth until he mini-pukes. It's a teething thing and he's really teething lately. I think the biggest problem for me is letting go of the fact that Tink's not going to have one-on-one attention all day like he does with me. Obviously if there's 3 or 4 other kids around that's just not going to happen. I think that's what I'm trying to be okay with.

     
  • At 9:31 PM, Blogger Dread Pirate Jessica said…

    Kids don't need one on one attention - particularly when they're the oldest and they're going to be joined by more kids! Tink should have an opportunity to see other kids getting attention as nice and normal, since you'll be giving them to him anyways!

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger Melbine said…

    I know Mistress, and I don't constantly interact with Tink all day (that would be way too tiring, and like you said, not in his best interest as the oldest of an upcoming brood). What I mean is that if he has a runny nose it should get wiped regularly (I pick him up and he's mr. snotface) and it shouldn't get to the point where his diaper hasn't been changed in so long that his pee seeps through the diaper. These are not horrible things but it's bugging me a bit. However, I feel better about it today, a sleep always helps. :) And the reassurances of friends!

     
  • At 1:53 PM, Blogger Sugarplum said…

    It is important that he be dry - both pants and face. These are important concerns and you should tell her that you have noticed this and expect that he be dry when you pick him up. You don't want him getting a rash. Also, like Mistress says, it is important for him to learn how to be around other kids or he may end up being what we call in Finnish a pikku-vanha. Which literally means a little old person. These are the kids who rather hang out with adults and don't know how to play with kids. That's an extreme example of how important it is in a child's development to have regular semi-supervised interaction with other kids his age. Of course you want the kids to be nice kids and the supervisor to be watchful.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home