What A Quandary
This morning I was greeted with an FYI email from my mother, letting me know that one of my first cousins and his girlfriend have been arrested for having a marijuana grow-up worth almost $6 million. I was pretty shocked, but I was more interested in my initial gut reaction. I had a deep sympathy for my cousin and his girlfriend for getting caught and likely looking at jail time. You see, they're really nice people! My cousin was one of the four people in the room when my grandmother passed away in the early morning hours this summer. He is soft-spoken and funny; one of those guys you could have some beer with and shoot the shit for hours. He had a troubled adolescence but we all thought that he had cleaned up quite nicely...
...shouldn't my gut reaction be dismay and distaste at the horrible thing my cousin has done? That's what some people may have felt and maybe you're one of them. And yes, maybe he shouldn't have gotten into the whole growing and selling aspect of the marijuana industry! But does this make him a hardened criminal who deserves to go to jail forever? Sugarplum wonders about the rationality of the 'three strike' rule herself and explains it much better than I could. My cousin has been arrested before for relatively minor things as a teenager - I think this makes arrest number three. This does not make him an evil person who is a danger to our society!
Sigh. This arrest does make some of the pieces in the puzzle fit better. Like the nice vehicles and the gorgeous jewelry they both wore. The trips down south and the generous wedding gift! I really hope that they're doing okay right now, they must be pretty scared.
I can't tell if my views on marijuana have changed or if it's because the people involved are related to me, but I can't find it in myself to think of them as criminals.
...shouldn't my gut reaction be dismay and distaste at the horrible thing my cousin has done? That's what some people may have felt and maybe you're one of them. And yes, maybe he shouldn't have gotten into the whole growing and selling aspect of the marijuana industry! But does this make him a hardened criminal who deserves to go to jail forever? Sugarplum wonders about the rationality of the 'three strike' rule herself and explains it much better than I could. My cousin has been arrested before for relatively minor things as a teenager - I think this makes arrest number three. This does not make him an evil person who is a danger to our society!
Sigh. This arrest does make some of the pieces in the puzzle fit better. Like the nice vehicles and the gorgeous jewelry they both wore. The trips down south and the generous wedding gift! I really hope that they're doing okay right now, they must be pretty scared.
I can't tell if my views on marijuana have changed or if it's because the people involved are related to me, but I can't find it in myself to think of them as criminals.


6 Comments:
At 9:23 AM,
Mistress La Spliffe said…
Poor kids. I don't think the 'three strikes' proposal will affect them, though, evn if it passes before his sentencing. It's for violent and sexual crimes - extending our 'dangerous offenders' act - no mention of drug offences.
Obviously I don't feel they've done anything morally wrong either, but they chose a risky business. I'm sure they understood the risks when they got into it and have some sort of legal plan.
At 9:39 AM,
Anonymous said…
You sell yourself short, Melbine. You really shouldn't shy away from writing your thoughts on a challenging topic - they are just as valid as anyone's and you are just as eloquent as anyone else with your level of education.
I agree with Mistress. His was a harmless crime that is almost legal and would be if we didn't have such influential neighbours.
At 9:40 AM,
Melbine said…
Yeah, I'm sure they knew what they were getting into as well. That's the biggest shock for me, why get involved in something so risky?!
I really don't know too much about the 'three strikes' proposal but I don't like the sounds of it..I'm glad to hear that it's extending the 'dangerous offenders' act and not minor offences.
At 9:41 AM,
Melbine said…
Thanks Sugarplum! I have a long habit of doubting both my opinions and my writing!
I wonder if we had kept with a Liberal government if it wouldn't be legal already...
At 9:51 AM,
Mistress La Spliffe said…
Why? Tax-free money and lousy conviction rates, probably. I wonder how they got caught.
And legalization with the Liberals? Definitely not. Even when they'd had a majority, they'd watered down the decriminalisation bill beyond all recognition and unless your cousin and his girl were somehow managing to make six million dollars off of three plants, they would have been in line for the same charges they are now.
At 7:35 PM,
Anonymous said…
Sorry to hear that they got caught, and I hope that they'll get off easily. And they're not criminals in any way; it's the law that's wrong.
Post a Comment
<< Home