A Patch of Blue

But if we share our sadness, And hopes and feelings too; Amid the frequent rain of tears, We'll find our patch of blue. - Eleisha John

Monday, October 16, 2006

It's Been A Blast, Cactus

This weekend I had to come to the realization that my beloved cactus, Erica, given to me when I was 19 by my lovely roommate Rodelinda (to use Mistress' pseudonym), has died with no chance of coming back.

We have been through a lot, my cactus and I. She survived no less than 8 moves and was on the brink of death one time before. There was a successful resuscitation attempt by Krazy, with the help of Mr. C's green-thumb mother. She has witnessed my metamorphosis from an awkward, rural 19-year-old student to a, dare I say it, sophisticated, urban 28 year-old mother.

I am honestly not trying to be melodramatic, I am feeling a very keen sense of loss and hopelessness over my cactus. There are not too many other things that have been with me this long, besides human friends and family. I think what I am really mourning is the fact that I won't ever again become so attached to something. It was with a youthful innocence that I lovingly developed a relationship with my cactus and I know that this is gone. I don't understand where it went, but is this something that every adult goes through? Why is your heart more hardened in your late twenties versus your late teens?

Anyway, long story short, we came back from our summer holiday at my parents and the Erica was not looking good. She was looking quite droopy and spongy. I suspect that she may have been overwatered at some point. We all know that you can save a plant if it has been underwatered, but not overwatered.

Even I can recognize the silliness inherent in this post but I had to get it out anyway. The little part of me that is still 19 years old is very saddened. I will miss you dear cactus and you are irreplaceable.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Little orange cactus head! How sad. I remember who you were when you got it. That youthfulness is still there. Swears still make you laugh as well as words like poo. See, oops, I crapped my pants.

    I know you're laughing.

     
  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger Mistress La Spliffe said…

    Hah! I sure am.

    It's seen alot, has that cactus . . . luckily you still have people who've been around for the same amount of time, who can't be over-watered.

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    At least not in the same way. We recover after a lot of bedrest and stale pizza.

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Blogger Melbine said…

    HA, you said poo and crapped! :)

    It actually wasn't little orange cactus head, she never made it past Rosedale poor little thing. Erica was so much stronger.

    Thank goodness for people not being over-watered, or at least, for human recovery from over-watering!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home