Not Going To Let It Pass
Okay, I was not going to say anything about this because I figured that I was just being overly sensitive and/or easily offended as usual. But I saw this article on CNN and I would like to rant a bit and then I'll leave it alone.
A few days ago I received an email entitled "E-Coli Claims Its First Celebrity Death" and became very concerned. It was from a friend who is usually very genuine, conscientious, and considerate. I had no reason to suspect it was a joke. Having lived through the e-coli crisis in Walkerton, I don't take jokes about e-coli causing death very lightly. But there he was - Popeye in a coffin with a can of spinach perched just off of the lid. Even if she didn't know that I'm from the Walkerton area (which I was pretty sure she did know), she should have thought things through before sending that out en masse and adding the comment "Hyuck yuck yuck". There are many people in the United States dealing with a horrible e-coli outbreak and now a 2 year old boy's death has been linked to e-coli. That is no laughing matter. I knew people in Walkerton who had their grandmother die and listened on the radio as death after death was announced. The toddler deaths were especially heartbreaking. Now someone else has lost their little baby to e-coli and people are sending out jokes about the matter.
Think about who your comment or email forward might affect before you offend or hurt someone. You never know who it's going to hit home with. Better yet, just don't make jokes about crises at all.
Sorry to be such a downer but that was really bothering me. Now it's out and I feel better. Sort of.
A few days ago I received an email entitled "E-Coli Claims Its First Celebrity Death" and became very concerned. It was from a friend who is usually very genuine, conscientious, and considerate. I had no reason to suspect it was a joke. Having lived through the e-coli crisis in Walkerton, I don't take jokes about e-coli causing death very lightly. But there he was - Popeye in a coffin with a can of spinach perched just off of the lid. Even if she didn't know that I'm from the Walkerton area (which I was pretty sure she did know), she should have thought things through before sending that out en masse and adding the comment "Hyuck yuck yuck". There are many people in the United States dealing with a horrible e-coli outbreak and now a 2 year old boy's death has been linked to e-coli. That is no laughing matter. I knew people in Walkerton who had their grandmother die and listened on the radio as death after death was announced. The toddler deaths were especially heartbreaking. Now someone else has lost their little baby to e-coli and people are sending out jokes about the matter.
Think about who your comment or email forward might affect before you offend or hurt someone. You never know who it's going to hit home with. Better yet, just don't make jokes about crises at all.
Sorry to be such a downer but that was really bothering me. Now it's out and I feel better. Sort of.


5 Comments:
At 2:22 AM,
Mistress La Spliffe said…
That sucks, Mel. People can't stop laughing at death but they should stop to think what they're laughing at.
At 8:26 AM,
Melbine said…
Yeah it's true. I've never been an irrevent humourist so I don't get it at all.
Farting and burping. Now that's funny!
At 9:14 AM,
Sugarplum said…
Yeah, I saw that cartoon in the newspaper. I don't consider that kind of thing a joke that would make you laugh at all but I do see it reminder of the gravity of the issue. This is something that was so big when it happened in Walkerton but since then, has dissapeared. This spinach incident happened in the States but we are no better protected here from such events. I think of these cartoons in the papers as reminder of the issues that we must keep in mind during elections. This is what happens when our politicians cut corners to save money. I don't know who would send it to a friend with a stupid hyuck hyuck line. It's not that kind of a statement.
I'm glad you wrote about it. That's what blogging is for, n'est-ce pas?
At 9:24 AM,
Melbine said…
In the context of a newspaper editorial cartoon I could see this picture (which I had originally had on my blog but then realized I may just offend/hurt even more people) having much better context and validity.
Yes, blogging is for things like this! I don't normally like to just rant and rave on my blog but sometimes you just gotta do it!
At 1:09 PM,
Sugarplum said…
If you don't rant and rave on your blog, it will just build up inside of you and come out as PMS. Anyways, it's important to share your opinions with others.
Post a Comment
<< Home